Time for harvesting pickled cabbage – 30 minutes. Pickling time for cabbage is several days.
How to pickle cabbage
White cabbage – 1 fork (1.5-2 kilograms)
Carrots – 1 piece
Garlic – 3 cloves
Water – 1 liter
Granulated sugar – 1 tablespoon
Salt – 2 tablespoons
Vinegar 9% – half a glass (150 milliliters)
Black peppercorns – 10 peas
Bay leaf – 3 leaves
How to prepare marinade for cabbage
1. Mix 1 tablespoon of sugar and 2 tablespoons of salt in 1 liter of water.
2. Put on fire and wait for it to boil.
3. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
Preparing Foods for Marinating
1. Peel and rinse 3 cloves of garlic.
2. In a sterilized three-liter jar, lower 3 bay leaves, 10 black peppercorns, 3 whole cloves of garlic to the bottom.
3. Remove the top and damaged leaves from 1 fork of cabbage and rinse the cabbage.
4. Chop the prepared head of cabbage into strips or small pieces (do not use the stalk).
5. Rinse and peel one carrot, chop on a coarse grater.
6. In a deep bowl, combine and mix the grated carrots and chopped cabbage.
How to pickle cabbage for the winter
1. Fill jars with cabbage to the very top.
2. Pour over the marinade, adding boiling water on top of the cabbage so that all the cabbage is covered with liquid.
3. Add half a glass of 9% vinegar to the jar.
4. Close the lid and let the cabbage cool.
5. Put the cooled cabbage in the refrigerator for 1 day after which it will be ready for use.
– Pickled cabbage is served as a side dish or salad. Pickled cabbage is often used as an addition to salads. It is added to vinaigrette, served as an appetizer with pickles. Pickled cabbage can also be used as a filling for baking pies and pies.
– Vinegar for pickling cabbage can be replaced with citric acid or aspirin. 100 milliliters of table vinegar in 9% are replaced by 60 grams of citric acid (3 tablespoons of acid). When replacing vinegar with aspirin, you will need three aspirin tablets per three-liter jar of cabbage. Instead of table vinegar, you can also use apple or wine vinegar when pickling. Usually apple cider vinegar is 6 percent, so when pickling, you need to use 1.5 times more. Wine vinegar 3%, so it must be taken twice as much.
– You can pickle cabbage in small quantities, since cabbage is available all year round and you can pickle it at any time.
– There is a difference between sauerkraut and pickled cabbage : they pickle cabbage by adding vinegar or other acid and a small amount of sugar, while sauerkraut is sour by adding salt, accompanying the preparation with fermentation. The addition of vinegar and sugar during pickling speeds up the cooking process, so pickled cabbage is cooked for several days, while sauerkraut is infused for 2-4 weeks, since no artificial additives are added to speed up the fermentation processes when sauerkraut is sauerkraut.
– When pickling cabbage , you can add vegetables : beets (1 piece per 2-3 kilograms of cabbage), garlic (1-2 heads per 2-3 kilograms of cabbage), fresh bell pepper (1-2 to taste), horseradish (1 root) , apples (2-3 pieces). If you add beets and / or peppers, then pickled cabbage will turn out sweet.
– You can add dill seeds, a pinch of cinnamon, cloves, coriander to the cabbage marinade.
– You can pickle cabbage in enamel, glassware or a wooden tub. In no case should you pickle cabbage in aluminum dishes, because on the surface of aluminum dishes there is aluminum oxide, which dissolves in acids and alkalis. When pickling cabbage in such a dish, the oxide will dissolve in the marinade, which can be harmful to health when eating cabbage pickled in this way.
– Pickled cabbage is stored in a cool place until spring. If you open a jar, you should store it in a closed container for no more than a week. However, over time, the cabbage darkens and acquires a gray tint. Since cabbage is available regardless of the vegetable season, it can be cooked regularly in small quantities.
– Calorie content of pickled cabbage – 47 kcal / 100 grams.