Before cooking, you need to remove the rapan meat from the shells; this can be done easily with an ordinary fork. Clean the dense part of the rapans, which differs in white color – it is it that is suitable for food. Dip the peeled rapan meat into a saucepan with new boiling water and cook for another 5 minutes. Boiled rapan has a bright white color and soft meat.
How to cook rapans
1. To separate the rapana meat from the shell, boil water and dip the rapana in the shell for 2 minutes in boiling water. Or you can put the rapanas in the freezer for 1 hour so that the rapana muscle relaxes and stops holding the shell.
2. Insert the fork deeper into the shell, tear off the meat and, picking it up, pull it out of the shell.
3. Clean all dark places from the meat with your hand, remove the intestines, the horny plate, rinse under water from the sand, put the rapana meat in a saucepan. Additionally, you can sprinkle the rapans with coarse salt, grind with your hands and rinse.
4. Fill the rapans with new cold water with a margin of 1 centimeter; if there are a lot of rapans, then leave them to boil in their own juice without adding water.
5. Bring the water to a boil and cook the rapans in it for another 5 minutes.
As a decoration, boiled rapans can be put back into the shells. It is important that sinks must be thoroughly brushed inside and out.
How to cook frozen
rapans 1. Defrost rapans at room temperature or in the microwave, remove the packaging.
2. Put the rapanov in a saucepan, add water and cook after boiling for 2 minutes.
– The price of raps is from 800 rubles / kg of frozen product (on average in Moscow as of June 2017).
– The taste of rapans resembles pickled mushrooms and boiled squid at the same time.
– In Ukraine and Russia, rapanas appeared relatively recently, from the end of the 40s of the last century. It is important that they used to live in the Sea of Japan and the Sea of Okhotsk. Moreover, in the Black Sea, rapans grow twice as fast, and since the rapan is a predator, a mass disappearance of mussels and oysters occurred in the Black Sea due to the invasion of rapans.
– Rapanov is important not to digest , otherwise they will become rubber.
– Rapans are used as a snack, marinated with vinegar, fried cutlets from them, added to rice and salads instead of squid .
– Rapana is a universal food in the Black Sea beach area. It should be borne in mind that the rapans are very satisfying and it is unlikely to eat a lot of them. At the same time, it is impossible to store rapana for a long time, a maximum of 1 day in the refrigerator.
– Boiled rapanas can be stored for a long time if they are frozen after cooking. They will keep in the freezer for up to six months.