It will take 7 hours to cook Kalbithan soup, of which 2 hours in the kitchen.
How to cook galbithan
Beef ribs – 800 grams
Daikon (radish) – 200 grams
Egg – 1 piece
Onion – 1 piece
Garlic – 40 grams
Green onion 40 grams and 20 grams
Cheonjang soy sauce – 2 teaspoons
Sesame oil – half a tablespoon
Salt – 2 teaspoons tablespoons
Ground black pepper – 1 teaspoon
How to cook galbithan
1. Chop the beef ribs into pieces, put in a saucepan, cover with cold water for 3 hours, changing the water every hour.
2. Rinse the daikon, peel and cut into pieces 6 centimeters long.
3. Peel the onion and garlic; finely chop the garlic, and cut the onion into thin half rings.
4. Break the egg, pour into a bowl and beat with a small pinch of salt; fry a thin scrambled egg. Then cut it into thin strips.
5. Remove fat and tendons from the soaked ribs.
6. Boil 1 liter of water in a saucepan and dip the ribs into it, blanch them for 5 minutes.
7. Fill the ribs with water (5 liters) and bring to a boil.
8. Reduce the heat, simmer the broth over low heat for 1.5 hours.
9. Add daikon and cook for another 1 hour, removing scale with a slotted spoon.
10. Remove the daikon and cut into thin slices 3 cm long.
11. Season the ribs with a mixture of garlic, ground pepper, soy sauce and sesame oil.
12. Cool the broth, remove the frozen fat from the surface and strain through cheesecloth. Add ribs and daikon and bring to a boil. Salt and cook for 2 more minutes.
13. Before serving, add chopped scrambled eggs, onions, salt and pepper to taste on a plate.
– Kalbitang is a type of Korean komguk soup, which is made from different parts of beef (such as head, bones, etc.) and boiled slowly over low heat.
– In ancient times, soups for important events or persons were given a name using the ending “than”. For example, soup “komtkhan” could only be afforded by representatives of the nobility, since expensive ingredients were used to prepare it. And the name of the dish itself comes from the Korean word meaning “to destroy”.
— There is an opinion among Koreans that gomhtang will have a real taste only if it is cooked in a cauldron and with a lot of meat. In addition, the preparation of such a dish takes a very long time. Therefore, Koreans prefer to order it when visiting restaurants.
– Koreans prefer not to add salt and pepper to galbithan when cooking, because they use spicy onions and garlic, as well as salty soy sauce. Salt and pepper should be added to the galbithan according to taste.