Cook green borscht for 2 hours.
How to cook green borscht
Pork bones – 1 kilogram
Pork – 0.5 kg
Onions – 2 heads
Carrots – 2 large
Potatoes – 4 medium
Sorrel – 350 grams (2 large bunches)
Salt, black pepper – to taste
Bay leaf – 2 pieces
In plates with borscht :
Chicken eggs – 1 egg each
Sour cream – 1 tablespoon each
Dill – a few sprigs
Boiling the broth
Pour 4 liters of water into a saucepan, put the bones in it (if frozen, defrost beforehand), add bay leaf and salt. Put the pan on a quiet fire, after boiling water, peel 1 onion and 1 carrot, cut into several pieces and add to the pan. Boil the bone broth for 40 minutes after boiling, removing the foam with a slotted spoon or a tablespoon. Then remove the bones, strain the broth (remove the vegetables, they will no longer be needed), pour into the soup pot and return to the fire.
Meat, if frozen, must be thawed. Cut the pork into small pieces (2×2 centimeters), put in a boiling broth, add peppercorns. Cook for 10 minutes, during which time prepare the vegetables.
Cooking green borsch
Peel the onion, cut off the rhizome, chop finely. Peel the carrots and grate on a coarse grater. Put the onions and carrots into the broth.
Peel the potatoes, cut into cubes with a side of 1 centimeter, put in the broth and cook for 15 minutes.
Sort the sorrel for soup, wash and dry, cut into strips with a ceramic or wooden knife, put in borscht. Boil green borscht until boiling and 5 minutes, then turn off the heat, and leave the green borscht under the lid for 10 minutes.
Serve green borscht
Boil chicken eggs separately from the soup, cool under cold water, peel, cut into medium-sized cubes and put on a plate.
Put sour cream in saucepan. Pour green borsch into plates, sprinkle each serving with finely chopped dill. Green borscht is eaten with eggs and sour cream added to the plate.
– The season for sorrel and, accordingly, green borscht is from late April to early June. The same time is the season of young nettle, which can also be added to green borscht . In winter, you can use frozen or canned sorrel.
– To make the soup dietary, the first broth can be drained. You can also use beef, lean chicken or turkey instead of pork. And so that the soup does not lose its brightness of taste, you can additionally add tomatoes and / or bell peppers.
– Additionally, you can add chopped onion and grated carrots to green borscht – 5 minutes before adding sorrel. You can add a couple of tablespoons of tomato sauce to the frying.
– Chicken eggs can be boiled in soup – for this you need to break them into a bowl, mix the whites with yolks and pour in a thin stream into a pan with green borscht 7 minutes before adding sorrel. However, keep in mind that storing such a soup for more than 3 days is not recommended.
– For a special broth, you can add 3 tablespoons (small cube) of butter to the pan with green borscht.
– Part of the sorrel in the soup can be replaced with spinach.
– For a special flavor, before laying sorrel, you can add a glass of bread kvass to green borscht.
– Pork in the recipe can be replaced with fatty parts of the chicken (legs, thighs). In this case, you should not boil the bone broth, but boil the chicken in a large amount of salted water, then put it out of the pan, cool, separate the meat from the bones and return the chicken meat to the broth for green borscht.
– The sequence of laying and the time of cooking products in green borscht:
1) Bones – 40 minutes after boiling water;
2) Meat – 40 minutes after boiling;
3) Onions and carrots – 20 minutes;
4) Potato – 15 minutes;
5) Frying (optional) – for 10 minutes;
6) Sorrel – for 5 minutes;
7) Chicken eggs (optional) – for 7 minutes.