Navaga is fried over high heat on each side for 2 minutes until golden brown, and then another 15 minutes under the lid, reducing the heat to low.
How to fry saffron cod
1. Rinse the thawed saffron cod, cut off the fins and head. Remove the insides through the resulting hole and rinse again.
2. Grate the fish with salt and set aside for soaking for a few minutes, then rub again with the same salt.
3. Mix the egg with a little water until smooth, grease the fish, and then roll in breadcrumbs.
4. Heat the cast-iron pan first with a piece of butter, and then with the addition of a tablespoon of sunflower oil, at the rate of a tablespoon for two carcasses. Put the fish in a pan and fry on each side until golden brown.
5. Drain excess fat from the pan and remove it for 15 minutes in an oven preheated to 180 degrees. This time should be enough for the fish to fry, but not dry out.
– So that the saffron cod does not fall apart during the frying process, it is recommended to salt it 15-20 minutes before the start of cooking. Also, attention should be paid to the choice of the fish itself. It is advisable to use freshly caught saffron cod for frying; it should be stored in the refrigerator for no more than a week.
– To give a special taste to fried navaga , you can add spices, lemon or lime juice. In this case, the marinating time for fish can be increased to 40 minutes. However, some prefer to sprinkle saffron cod with lemon juice before serving. In both cases, everything is decided by personal taste preferences. You can generally cut the lemon into circles and serve on a separate dish.
– Navaga is better to fry in butter. But you can also use soy, it does not have a clear taste and can withstand high temperatures. And instead of breadcrumbs, you can roll the fish in semolina.
– Navaga – one of the lowest calorie fish species – only 94 kcal / 100 grams.
– It is recommended to store saffron cod in the freezer at minus 18 degrees. Under such conditions, it retains its taste and useful properties for up to 9 months, while it cannot be re-frozen. Store fried saffron cod in the refrigerator for 3 days. <0br>
– The average cost of a fresh- frozen carcass of saffron cod without a head is from 150 rubles / kg (as of June 2016).