Piti boil for 1.5 hours. You must first soak the peas overnight.
How to brew piti
Products for a 5-liter saucepan
Dried nohud peas (large) – 200 grams
Lamb – (brisket, neck, shank) – 500 grams
Fat tail fat – 70 grams
Potatoes – 3 tubers
Onions – 2 heads
Fresh cherry plum – 100 grams (can be replaced with 50 grams dried)
Tomatoes – 3 pieces (can be replaced with 2 tablespoons of tomato paste)
Ground ginger – to taste
Pepper – to taste
Salt – half a teaspoon
How to cook piti
1. Pour cold water over the peas so that it completely covers it, leave overnight.
2. Wash the lamb in cool running water, cut into cubes 3 cm thick.
3. Divide lamb and soaked peas evenly among serving pots so that the pots are half full.
4. Pour the meat and peas in each pot with a glass of boiling water.
5. Place the closed pots in an oven preheated to 190 degrees for 40 minutes.
6. Peel the onion, cut into small cubes.
7. Wash potatoes, peel, cut into squares 2 cm thick.
8. Cut the fat into cubes 3 centimeters long, 5 millimeters thick.
9. Wash cherry plum, cut into pieces about 1 centimeter thick.
10. Pour boiling water over the tomatoes for 5 minutes, remove from boiling water, remove the skin, cut into cubes 2 centimeters thick.
11. Remove the pots from the oven, put chopped onions, potatoes, cherry plums, bacon, tomatoes, a pinch of ginger, pepper, salt into each pot, add half a glass of water if necessary.
12. Put the pots back in the oven for 30 minutes.
Your soup piti is cooked!
Soup piti is a popular Azerbaijani dish made from nokhud peas and lamb. The soup is prepared and served in portioned pots.
– If the piti soup has a thick consistency, it is eaten with a fork, if it is liquid – with a spoon.
– In Armenia, piti soup is known as putuk.
– Ordinary split peas are not suitable for drinking, because. it will soften and turn into porridge.