Fill the kettle with water and leave it to warm up, and in the meantime, rinse the millet 3 to 5 times. Pour boiling water over the cereal from the kettle, observing the proportion: for 1 cup of millet you need to take 4 cups of water. Add some salt, cover the pan with a lid and put on a slow fire. Boil millet for 25-30 minutes after boiling, then it will turn out crumbly. If you cook porridge, then after the 20th minute add milk to it and cook for another 10 minutes.
How to cook millet
You will need – a glass of millet, 4 glasses of water
- Clean millet from debris and dark grains.
- Rinse the peeled millet in boiled warm water – change the water several times so that in the end it remains transparent after washing the cereal.
- Pour water into a pan without an enamel coating, based on the ratio that 4 cups of liquid are needed for one glass of cereal.
- Place a pot of water over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Change the heat to low, add millet, cover with a lid.
- Cook 20 minutes.
- Open the lid, salt the millet with half a teaspoon of salt, add water if necessary, keep on the stove for another 10 minutes.
How to cook millet in the microwave
1. Transfer the washed millet to a microwave-safe bowl.
2. Pour millet with half of the prepared water, based on the ratio that 4 glasses of liquid are needed for one glass of cereal.
3. Put the dishes with cereals in the microwave, cover the dishes.
4. Turn on the microwave for 5 minutes.
5. Stir the millet, add the remaining water, salt with half a teaspoon of salt, cook for another 2 minutes.
6. Re-mix the cereal, cook in the oven for another 2 minutes.
7. Leave the millet under the lid to brew for 5 minutes.
How to cook millet in a double boiler and
multicooker 1. Put the washed millet into a multicooker bowl or a double boiler bowl.
2. Pour the cereal with water, based on the calculation – for one glass of cereal, you need 4 glasses of liquid in total.
3. Salt the millet with half a teaspoon of salt, put a square of butter.
4. Turn on the double boiler or slow cooker for 40 minutes, cook without stirring.
When cooking millet in a slow cooker, it is recommended to place a steam pan on top.
How to cook millet in pots
1. Arrange the washed millet in ceramic pots, taking into account that the volume of millet increases by 5-6 times during the cooking process.
2. Pour millet in pots with water, based on the calculation – for one glass of cereal, you need 4 glasses of liquid in total.
3. Salt millet with half a teaspoon of salt, put butter.
4. Close the pots, place in an oven preheated to 180 degrees, cook for 25-30 minutes.
– When cooking, millet increases by 5-6 times in volume.
– Millet is boiled over low heat so that it does not burn to the saucepan.
– For cooking, it is better to use millet washed in warm water, and after cooking, it is better to rinse the millet with hot boiled water .
– If you cook millet porridge , first pour the millet into boiling water, and only then, when the millet becomes half-cooked (after 15 minutes), pour milk into a saucepan and cook in milk until tender (another 10-15 minutes).
— The price of millet — from 40 rubles. (on average in Moscow as of June 2020).
– Millet calorie content – 342 kcal / 100 grams.
– Millet is very good for health – eating millet protects the body from diseases of the circulatory system and liver. Millet contains a large amount of vitamin B6 (pyridoxine), and the content of this vitamin in millet is twice as high as in buckwheat and oatmeal. Vitamin B6 helps to better absorb unsaturated fatty acids in the body, normalizes the metabolism of fats and proteins. Along with calcium, pyridoxine normalizes the work of all muscles, primarily the heart, and contributes to their effective relaxation. It has been scientifically proven that a lack of vitamin B6 can provoke inflammation of the middle ear. Millet does not contain gluten, so people who are allergic to this protein can eat dishes from it.
– Boiled millet can be given to children from the age of one.
Don’t confuse millet with wheat . Millet is processed millet.
– How to choose : give preference to cereals that are yellow and do not contain foreign particles (garbage). It is better to choose cereals packaged in their original packaging, this will help to avoid buying a low-quality product.
– How to store : it is necessary to pour the millet into a tightly closed ceramic or glass container and put it in a dark place. Millet should not be stored for a long time, since it contains a high fat content, which, oxidized during long-term storage, gives the millet a bitter taste and an unpleasant odor.
– To prevent millet dishes from becoming bitter , it is recommended to rinse it in warm water, since cold water will not wash off the fat. In this case, it is necessary to rub the millet well between the hands, mechanically removing fat from its surface. The groats should be washed several times, until the drained water is completely transparent. Another way to get rid of bitterness is to pour millet with water, let it boil, and then drain the water with the dissolved oxidized fat.