Cook khashlama from 3 to 8 hours, depending on the youth of the lamb (cook young lamb in khashlama for 2 hours, old up to 7 hours).
How to cook khashlama
Lamb – 1 kilogram
Carrots – 1 piece
Saffron – a pinch
Onion – 1 head
Parsley root – 1 piece Coriander
stalks – a few branches
Pepper – a few peas
Salt – half a teaspoon
Dried mint – a small handful
Dried basil – a small handful
Garlic – 3 teeth
Potato – 1 piece
Tomato – 1 piece
How to cook khashlama
1. Wash lamb, chop with bones into pieces of medium size.
2. Place lamb with bones in a wide, shallow saucepan, fill with water so that its level is not higher than the meat.
3. Place the pan with lamb over medium heat, wait for it to boil.
4. Reduce the heat to low, cook the lamb under the lid for 2 to 7 hours, depending on the maturity of the ram, until the meat is ready – it should become soft, give a strong aroma.
5. Periodically remove the foam from the broth.
6. Peel the carrots, cut into rounds 1 centimeter thick.
7. Wash cilantro stalks and parsley root, do not cut.
8. Cut the peeled onion into several large slices.
9. Wash potatoes, cut into large pieces.
10. Wash the tomato, pour boiling water for a minute, drain the boiling water.
11. Remove the peel from the tomato, cut into cubes 3 centimeters thick.
12. Peel the garlic, do not chop.
13. An hour before the meat is ready, put cilantro and parsley stalks, onions, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, garlic cloves, peppercorns in a saucepan, leave to languish for an hour.
14. 10 minutes before the khashlama is ready, remove the parsley roots and cilantro stalks from the pan.
15. Put a pinch of saffron, salt into the hashlama, sweat for another 5 minutes.
16. Sprinkle dried basil and mint on top of khashlama poured into clay soup bowls.
Khashlama is a dish of Caucasian cuisine. Khashlama is prepared throughout the region, each nationality has its own peculiarities of preparing khashlama.
Khashlama is a thick rich soup made from meat that languishes for a long time on a quiet fire. There should be several times more meat in khashlama than vegetables and broth.
– Traditionally, khashlama is served not in plates, but in clay bowls .
– For khashlama , lamb, veal, beef meat is used, very rarely – pork. The meat can be on the bone or without it.
– According to the traditional recipe , meat for khashlama is cut into medium pieces, poured with cold water, simmered over low heat for 2 to 7 hours. Coarsely chopped onions are first added to the almost ready meat, then the rest of the vegetables – potatoes, carrots, tomatoes. Vegetables should be coarsely chopped. Salt khashlama should be five minutes before readiness.
– To enhance the flavor of khashlama, it is boiled over a fire.
– Unlike another Caucasian soup – khasha , khashlama cooks faster, since the meat does not need to be soaked first. Also, any vegetables can be added to khashlama – potatoes, tomatoes, turnips, eggplants, tomatoes, carrots, peppers, and only radish goes into khash. Khash turns out to be a watery soup, unlike khashlama, which should be very thick.