It takes half an hour to cook Georgian cabbage. Pickling time – 3-5 days.
How to pickle cabbage in Georgian
Ingredients (per jar or pan with a volume of 3 liters)
White cabbage – 1 head weighing from 1.5 to 2 kilograms
Beets – 1 piece of medium size
Garlic – 10 cloves
Bay leaf – 6 pieces
Allspice – 6 peas Coarsely
ground black pepper – 1 teaspoon spoon
Whole cloves – 3 pieces
Coriander whole – 1 teaspoon
Dill seeds – 1 teaspoon
Fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
Sugar – 200 grams Coarse
salt – 2 tablespoons with a slide
Table vinegar 7% – 150 milliliters
How to pickle Georgian-style cabbage for the winter
1. Wash the head of cabbage, cut it into four parts, remove the stalk.
2. Cut the cabbage into squares with a side of 2 centimeters.
3. Peel raw beets, grate on a coarse grater or cut into strips.
4. Peel the garlic cloves and cut lengthwise into 4 pieces.
5. In a ceramic or enameled container, lay cabbage, beets, and garlic in layers to the top.
6. Tamp, lay additional required number of layers.
7. To prepare the marinade, boil two liters of water, dissolving 2 tablespoons of salt and a glass of sugar in it.
8. Pour all the spices and lavrushka into the boiling liquid, leave on fire for 4 minutes.
9. Reduce the heat to a minimum, pour in the vinegar, turn it off after 2 minutes and leave to cool.
10. When the marinade has cooled to room temperature, pour it into a container with cabbage to the brim.
11. Press the Georgian cabbage with a lid or a plate of the appropriate diameter, set oppression.
12. Top up the remaining marinade as needed, once every one or two days.
13. Pierce cabbage once a day to the bottom with a fork or wooden stick.
14. After three days, check the readiness of the cabbage, if it is not marinated enough, leave it for another day or two.
15. Put away for storage in the cellar or refrigerator.
16. Serve chilled, seasoned with vegetable oil to taste.
– To pickle Georgian cabbage, which is called “mzhava” in the homeland, you can replace table vinegar with natural wine or apple. So the dish will become more useful.
— Lovers of cauliflower can easily replace regular white cabbage in this recipe. The composition of the marinade and the preparation steps will not change.
– For a sharp taste , you can add one or two longitudinally chopped chili peppers to a layer of garlic, at the rate of 2 pods per indicated weight of cabbage. You can also add 2-3 horseradish rhizomes for greater crunchiness of the dish.
– Celery and parsley will add an interesting taste to cabbage pickled in Georgian style. These ingredients must be added at 400 and 200 grams, respectively, based on 3 liters.