Cook beet tops after boiling for 5 minutes.
How to cook pkhali from haulm
Beet tops – 1 kilogram
Onions – 1 medium head
Garlic – 3 cloves
Any nuts (preferably peeled walnuts) – 200 grams
Utskho suneli (replacement with suneli hops is allowed) – a large pinch
Imeretian saffron – a large pinch Coriander
greens – a bunch
Coriander seeds – half a teaspoon
Vinegar – to taste
Hot red pepper – a pinch
Salt – half a teaspoon
How to cook pkhali
1. Wash beet tops, put them in a saucepan.
2. Fill the tops with water so that all tops are covered.
3. Place the pot with the tops on medium heat, let it boil, hold for 5 minutes.
4. Drain the water from the pot with the tops, squeeze the tops well with your hands.
5. Finely chop the squeezed tops with a knife or chop in a blender.
6. Grind the nuts in a mortar or blender as finely as possible.
7. Cut the peeled onion into squares.
8. Sprinkle a pinch of salt on the onion, set aside for 15 minutes.
9. Squeeze the onion from the bitter juice with your hands.
10. Chop the garlic into a pulp.
11. Wash cilantro greens, chop.
12. Grind cilantro seeds in a mortar.
13. In a bowl, mix ground nuts, chopped tops, onions, garlic, herbs, saffron, suneli, ground cilantro seeds, red pepper, salt, pour in vinegar, mix well.
14. Roll balls of arbitrary diameter from the spicy beet-nut mixture.
15. Refrigerate pkhali before serving.
– Beet tops strengthens the immune system, the walls of blood vessels rich in ascorbic acid. There is more of it in it than in the beet itself. The tops also contain a wide selection of useful trace elements, such as iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, B vitamins, which regulate metabolism. Beet tops are recommended for those who have an iodine deficiency. The tops contain a lot of vitamin U (methionine), it is used to prevent gastric ulcers, chronic gastritis.
– It is necessary to eat the tops of young beets, which have not yet formed a weighty fruit. Such tops are tender, juicy and rich in vitamins.
– Beet tops can be added to soups, meatballs, pancake dough, make stuffing for pies, wrap cabbage rolls in it, and also fresh in salads.
– It is better to buy beets with tops from trusted farmers who do not spray them with chemicals. If this is not possible, the tops should be washed, soaked for a quarter of an hour in water and vinegar in a ratio of 10:1.