Soak barley for garnish for 6-12 hours, rinse and cook for 1 hour .
How to cook barley for a side dish
Products for 2 servings
Barley – 1 glass
Water – from 4 glasses
Salt – 1 teaspoon
Butter, herbs – to taste
A simple barley garnish
How to cook: for a crumbly garnish, soak barley in cold water for 6-12 hours, pour into a large amount of cold water and cook after boiling for 45-90 minutes, depending on the variety. When cooking, barley releases a lot of foam, so cover the barley with a lid only slightly so that the foam does not boil away onto the stove. Keep an eye on the water level – the garnish can burn if there is too little water.
Check readiness: take a few grains with a spoon, cool and taste for a tooth. Barley should be absolutely soft, not grainy. The taste of pearl barley should be delicate, without metallic notes.
To add a garnish: At the bottom of the pan after cooking the barley, there is usually a little water left, it must be drained. Put a piece of butter in barley, chop the greens, add salt if necessary, mix, cover with a lid, wrap with a towel and leave for 20 minutes.
The usual packaged barley and sold by weight must be soaked so that the garnish is crumbly and the grains are completely boiled. If the barley is not soaked, the cereal will be rougher in taste, and after consumption, the stomach may hurt. The only cereal that can not be soaked is in special cooking bags, such barley is steamed before packaging.
Even just boiled barley is a great option for serving meat, poultry and fish. Barley has a very simple taste, so it goes well with fatty meat, fried chicken, fish baked in sauce.
Serve a side dish of barley weakened or tired – it perfectly relieves fatigue.
To make a side dish dietary, cook barley on kefir. For more nutritional side dish when cooking, you can use chicken broth instead of water.
An unusual serving of barley garnish – with pomegranate seeds, almonds, lemon zest.
Barley with mushrooms is either a hearty side dish or a complete dish for those who are fasting.
Barley garnish with carrots and onions
Products for 2 servings
Barley – 1/2 cup
Carrots – 1 piece
Bulb onion – 1 onion
Tomato – 1 piece
Water – 2.5 cups
Butter – 30 grams cube
Salt and pepper – to taste
How to cook barley as a side dish
1. Rinse half a glass of barley, soak in water, put in a small saucepan, pour 3 cups of water, put on high heat, bring to a boil.
2. After boiling, reduce the heat, cover the pan with a lid, and cook the cereal for 45 minutes, watching the level of foam and water: barley, even if there is a little water at the bottom of the pan, starts to burn, so periodically check its level and mix.
3. After cooking, if there is water left, drain it, add butter to the pearl barley and leave to infuse while preparing the rest of the side dish.
4. Pour 2.5 tablespoons of vegetable oil into a deep frying pan.
5. Peel the onion, finely chop and fry in vegetable oil for 3 minutes.
6. Peel the carrots, finely chop and fry together with onions for another 5 minutes.
7. Peel the tomato, cut into small cubes and add to the carrots and onions, mix.
8. Simmer covered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
9. Add cooked barley to the pan with vegetables, mix everything, salt and pepper.
10. Simmer under the lid for another 5 minutes.