Boil the soaked barley for cabbage rolls for 30 minutes , without soaking – up to 1 hour .
Cabbage rolls with barley
Cabbage – 1 head about 2 kilograms
Beef and pork – 150 grams
each Barley – 90 grams (half a glass)
Onion (large) – 1 head
Carrots – 1 piece
Garlic – 4 cloves
Parsley – 1 bunch
Sour cream 20% fat – 2 tablespoons
Ketchup or tomato paste – 2 tablespoons
Vegetable oil – 1 tablespoon
Wheat flour – 1 tablespoon
Ground black pepper – 0.5 teaspoon
Salt – half a teaspoon
1. Rinse 300 grams of meat and pass through a meat grinder.
2. Rinse 90 grams of barley under running water in a colander, pour 1.5 cups of water and cook until half cooked for 50 minutes (with pre-soaking barley for 2-3 hours, the cooking time will be about half an hour). Cool the boiled cereal a little.
3. Peel the onion and finely chop. Scrape the carrots with a knife and grate on a coarse grater.
4. Put onions and carrots on a frying pan heated with vegetable oil and fry for 5 minutes.
5. Peel 4 cloves of garlic, rinse the bunch of parsley and chop everything.
6. Make minced pork and beef using a meat grinder.
7. Stir the minced meat, fried vegetables, pearl barley, parsley, chopped garlic, add 0.5 teaspoon of ground black pepper and a teaspoon of table salt.
7. Mix in a separate bowl 2 tablespoons of ketchup or tomato paste, the same amount of 20% fat sour cream and a tablespoon of wheat flour. Add 200 milliliters of water, salt to the sauce and mix again.
8. Rinse the cabbage forks and disassemble into sheets. Damaged and heavily soiled (usually the top sheets) are removed, and the rest are put into boiling salted water for 6 minutes.
9. Cool the boiled leaves slightly and cut off thick veins at the base. Then put 2 tablespoons of the filling in the center of each sheet and wrap it in the form of an envelope.
How to cook
How to cook cabbage rolls with pearl barley in a saucepan
1. Put the cabbage rolls in a thick-walled saucepan, pour over the sauce, close the lid and put on fire.
2. Bring cabbage rolls to a boil and cook for another half hour without a lid until fully cooked.
How to cook cabbage rolls with pearl barley in a slow cooker
1. Put the cabbage rolls in a slow cooker, pour over the sauce and close the lid.
2. Cook the dish in the “Extinguishing” mode for 35 minutes.