Boil yams for 30 minutes at a moderate boil.
How to cook yams
You will need – yams, water
1. Wash the yams and put them in a colander.
2. Peel the skin off the yams with a paring knife.
3. Wash the yams and place on a cutting board.
4. Cut each tuber so that the individual parts of the yams are about the same size (ideally, like 1 medium-sized potato).
5. Put the yams in a saucepan and pour water: the water should cover the yams by a couple of centimeters.
6. Put the pan with yams on the fire and wait for the boil.
7. Boil the yams for 30 minutes after boiling, drain the water and use the yams for their intended purpose.
Your yams are cooked!
How to cook fufu
Yams (inyam) – 300 grams
Beef – 200 grams
Onion – 100 grams
Tomatoes – 2 small
Peppers – 0.5 teaspoon
Broth (chicken or meat) – 0.5 liters
Coconut milk – 150 grams
Water – 1.5 liters
Salt – 0.5 teaspoon
How to cook fufu
1. Wash the yams, removing the scales with a brush. Peel the yams, cut into cubes with a side of 3 centimeters.
2. Put the yams in a saucepan with 1 liter of water, salt, close the lid and boil.
3. Boil the yams for 30 minutes (check for softness with a knife).
4. Drain the water, let the yams cool slightly, mash in a bowl with a pestle (or in a blender), periodically adding water: it is necessary to achieve a soft, airy, homogeneous consistency without lumps.
5. For the sauce: cut the beef into medium-sized pieces, combine in a saucepan with chopped tomatoes and onions, pour over the broth. Boil, cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
6. Add pepper to the broth, pour in 150 grams of coconut milk and cook for 15 minutes.
7. Moisten your hands with water, shape the yam mass into a ball with a radius of 2 centimeters.
Serve the fufu at the table by pouring the sauce into a separate cup, or pour the fufu with the sauce.
– Yams are a tuberous vegetable, reminiscent of a potato, if it were very large (weighing 20-70 kilograms) and very elongated. Especially yam is widespread in Africa, where it is consumed in quantities comparable to the use of bread. Still, because flour for bread is made from yams.
– Yams are very well stored in Russian conditions at room temperature – up to six months. Indeed, in the homeland, yams have to be stored in extreme heat.
– To choose the right yam, you need to press on the vegetable: if it is firm and slightly elastic, then the vegetable is good. If the vegetable is soft, with flabby skin, then buying this is not recommended.
– The taste of yams is sweetish, close to potatoes, only softer.
– Yams should not be eaten raw, they must be cooked.
– Calorie content of yams – 118 kcal.
Fufu is a porridge-like dish popular in West and parts of Central Africa. It is served both on ordinary days and at the festive table.
– The dish is made from inyama (yams), sweet potatoes (sweet potatoes), sometimes maize (sweet corn) or rice.
Fufu is eaten with the hands, pinching off pieces and rolling them into balls. The balls are dipped in sauce and swallowed without chewing. Place a bowl of water nearby to rinse your hands.
– The fufu dish became known in the island countries of the Caribbean (Cuba, Haiti, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, etc.) thanks to African slaves.
– Yams can be replaced with powdered inyam – the powder is mixed with water and boiled in a saucepan for 5 minutes. Other options – yam (sweet potato) or regular potatoes – are better than not too soft varieties.