Sbiten cook for 10 minutes.
How to cook Russian sbiten
Products (based on 3 servings of 300 milliliters)
Water – 1 liter
Honey – 150 grams
Sugar (sand) – 2 tablespoons
Ground dried ginger – a pinch
Dried cloves – 1 piece
Black pepper (peas) – 2 peas
Dried mint leaf – 1 teaspoon spoon
Ground cinnamon – 1 teaspoon
Lemon – half
Thyme – a quarter of a teaspoon
Sage – a fourth of a teaspoon
St. John’s wort – half a teaspoon
How to cook classic Russian sbiten
1. Pour 1 liter of water into a saucepan.
2. Water with sugar, heating, stir.
3. Add herbs, sliced lemon and spices, boil for 15 minutes over low heat without a lid.
4. Strain the sbiten and cool slightly (up to 80 degrees).
5. Add honey and mix it in sbitna.
6. Cover the pan with a lid and insist sbiten for 15 minutes.
Sbiten is a traditional ancient drink of the Eastern Slavs. The composition of the drink, in addition to water, spices and honey, included fees from medicinal herbs. The word “sbiten” comes from the word “sbiten” (combine), since the preparation of sbiten involved the combination of liquids prepared in two different vessels: honey dissolved in water and an infusion of medicinal herbs. The first mention of this drink dates back to 1128 (annals of the ancient Slavs). Sbiten was the most popular drink in Russia until it was replaced by tea and coffee. The drink was prepared both for home consumption and for sale. In our years, sbiten reappears in eco-shops.
– The benefits of sbitnya are due to the ingredients that make up its composition. The list of useful actions of sbitnya is wide: from the prevention of diseases to their direct cure. Using various ingredients in the composition of sbitnya, you can achieve both a tonic and, conversely, a calming effect. If you use herbal infusions in the mix, they help prevent colds, improve digestion and metabolism, have a positive effect on brain activity, and stimulate the activity of the cardiovascular system. If elecampane is added to the composition of sbitnya, the drink will have a pronounced anti-cold effect. When using herbs such as thyme, sage and some others, the drink acquires anti-inflammatory properties. And sbiten with ginger and Ivan-tea perfectly relieves a hangover.
But the main beneficial properties of sbitnya come from the honey that is part of it. Honey enriches sbiten with vitamins and microelements (iron, calcium, iodine, magnesium, potassium).
– Sbitnya also has contraindications. Do not use this drink for people suffering from allergic diseases. Persons with chronic diseases of the liver, kidneys, heart, people suffering from diabetes should consult with a specialist regarding the possibility of using sbiten.
Sbiten is also not recommended for those who are fighting overweight, because, due to the content of honey, the drink has a rather high calorie content.
– You can add to sbiten, along with spices, sliced \u200b\u200blemon. This makes the drink a real storehouse of vitamin C.
– For sbitnya, a special extract of needles of coniferous plants is brewed, you can find this in taiga farms. You can add raspberries, sea buckthorn, lime blossom, cardamom, chamomile, oranges, ginger and lemon.
– Sbiten is drunk warm and fresh – it is considered that if the sbiten has stood for more than half an hour, it has lost its useful properties.