It takes 6 hours to cook pho soup.
How to cook pho soup
Beef (brisket) – 1 kilogram
Oxtail – 300 grams
Rice noodles – 250 grams
Brain beef bone – 300 grams
Onion – 1 head for broth, 1 for decorating soup
Parsnip – 2 pieces
Thai fish sauce – 2 tablespoons
Ginger root – 40 grams
Star anise – 2 stars
Whole cloves – 5 pieces
Cinnamon – 1 stick 5 centimeters long
Salt – 1 teaspoon
How to cook pho soup in a saucepan
1. Wash meat and bones in cold water.
2. Pour bones and tail with cold water, boil, reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Drain the first broth.
4. Pour the bones with cold water again, bring to a boil again and remove the foam; Reduce heat and simmer broth for 1 hour.
5. While the broth is being prepared, peel two onions and bake them together with ginger in the oven for 5 minutes at a temperature of 180 degrees.
6. Peel the parsnips.
7. Add meat pulp, fish sauce, star anise, cloves, cinnamon, parsnips, baked onions and ginger to the broth.
8. When the broth boils, reduce the temperature and simmer for another hour, then remove all ingredients (including spices) from the pan and leave only the bones and tails.
Cook for another 3 hours, periodically removing fat from the surface of the broth.
9. Cool the brisket for 10 minutes in cold water. After that, wrap the meat in cling film and put in the refrigerator for 2.5 hours.
10. Remove the brisket from the refrigerator, free from the film and cut into plastics half a centimeter thick.
11. Pour cold water over rice noodles and leave for half an hour.
12. Drain the water from the rice noodles and dip them in boiling water for 1 minute, then drain the water and rinse with cold water.
13. Remove the bones from the broth and strain it through cheesecloth, remove the meat from the bones and return to the broth, boil for a minute and turn off the heat.
Your pho soup is cooked! Serve garnished with chopped onions and herbs.
Fuss facts about pho soup
– Pho soup is served in portioned bowls, noodles with pieces of meat are placed at the bottom, poured with broth, and topped with cilantro, onions, lime slices and holopeno peppers. Soy sauce and chili sauce are served on the table, where everyone can add them to their plate according to their own taste.
– The origin of pho soup is associated with the French colonialists, who taught the people of Vietnam to use beef for food. Prior to this, the Vietnamese treated cows as working animals.
– The name of the soup pho is most likely associated with the French word “feu”, which means “fire” in translation. Additional support for this theory is that the original soup recipe recommends using fried onions.