Boil lamb broth for 2.5 hours. If you need a rich broth, you can cook the broth for up to 4 hours.
How to cook lamb broth
for a 4-liter pan
Lamb (fatty part) – half a kilo
Water – 3.5 liters
Carrots – 1 piece
Greens (parsley, cilantro or dill) – 50 grams
Garlic – 5
cloves Onions – 1 head
Fennel seeds – a pinch
Black pepper – 4 peas
Salt – 1 tablespoon
How to cook lamb broth
1. Wash lamb under running cold water, divide into 5 equal parts.
2. Pour 2 liters of cold water into a saucepan, put the lamb, place on a quiet fire, wait for it to boil.
3. Remove the formed foam with a slotted spoon, cook the broth for 1.5 hours under the lid, periodically removing the foam from the broth.
4. Wash, peel, chop the carrots into strips a centimeter wide, 3 centimeters long.
5. Peel the onion, cut into 4 identical parts.
6. Peel the garlic, do not chop.
7. Put onions, carrots, garlic, salt, pepper, fennel in a saucepan with broth, cook for an hour over low heat (if rich broth is needed, cook for 2 hours).
8. Wash greens, chop.
9. Sprinkle parsley on the boiled lamb broth poured into plates.
– For broth, it is recommended to choose fatty parts of lamb , which will make the broth rich and nutritious: lamb shank, neck or shoulder blade. The broth will turn out more rich if you use the meat of an adult sheep.
– The most popular soups made with lamb broth: shurpa , piti, bozbash and chorba .
– Sometimes lamb has a specific smell. It appears if the animal was slaughtered incorrectly. Usually the smell comes from fat, so it is recommended to cut it with a knife before cooking.
— How to get rid of the pungent smell of sheep:
1. Coat the meat with salt, mustard or crushed garlic and leave for several hours.
2. Soak lamb in a weak vinegar solution, in kefir or in milk for 2 hours.
3. Soak sheep meat in brine overnight: 200 grams of pomegranate juice, a tablespoon of adjika, a teaspoon of mustard powder, cumin, black and red pepper, turmeric, curry, coriander, suneli hops, cinnamon, 50 grams of chopped garlic.
4. Squeeze lemon juice into lamb meat soup.
5. When cooking lamb, add oregano, cumin, coriander, cilantro, tomatoes, radish, onion, carrot, garlic. These spices and vegetables can overcome the specific smell of meat.