Boil goose broth for 1.5-2 hours.
goose broth step by step
Goose – 2 wings and 1 neck, or a pair of legs per 3-liter pot of broth
Onions – 2 heads
Carrots – 1 large
Bay leaf – 3 leaves
Allspice – 6 peas
- Remove excess fat from the neck.
- Inspect the wings for loose feathers and remove them.
- Rinse the goose parts thoroughly on the outside under running water.
- Place prepared cuts in a saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Bring water to a boil over high heat
- Switch the stove to minimum fire mode.
- Cook on low heat for 1.5-2 hours.
- Remove foam as it forms.
- Add washed and half-peeled onions with peel, chopped large pieces of carrots and peppercorns to the broth.
- Closer to the end of cooking (in 5 minutes), add greens and bay leaf.
Poultry broths are often prescribed for dietary nutrition, but goose is not the case. Goose is a very oily bird, so for a normal taste it is important to remove all fat before cooking, otherwise it will have to be removed with a ladle after. The goose broth is so fatty that it can be served simply with bread or croutons – a hearty lunch is provided.
If the broth is supposed to be soup or jelly, use not only fatty parts, but also fleshy ones to cook the broth.
If you have a whole goose carcass, then use the bones of the body, wings and neck to cook the broth, and use the legs and breast, along with fat, for frying, stewing or baking.
In order to give the broth a golden color, before cooking, put the prepared vegetables in a dry frying pan and cook them until black for 3-4 minutes.
If you cook a goose over high heat, the broth will not turn out to be saturated, and the water will evaporate faster than the meat will cook. The readiness of the goose can be checked by breaking the bone at the joint: if the limb immediately separated, then the broth is ready.
The broth will be richer if you put the meat in cold water and it is desirable that in the past it belonged to an old or adult animal.
If you have a bunch of dill or parsley in the refrigerator, put the stems in the broth 10 minutes before the end of cooking – this will add saturation to the broth, and it is better to save the leaves for decorating dishes.