Green peas are boiled for 5-10 minutes, depending on the variety and age of the beans.
How to boil peeled green peas
You will need – peas, water
1. Rinse fresh peas and peel the grains. To do this, make a longitudinal cut with a fingernail along the pod, open its valves and separate the grains. Discard yellow and shriveled beans.
2. Pour 2/3 of the volume of cold water into a saucepan and bring to a boil, add salt and soda at the rate of 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of soda to 3 cups of water.
3. Run the peas into boiling water, cover the pan with a lid and cook over high heat until tender. Depending on the size and age of the beans, the cooking time can vary from 5 to 10 minutes. The younger the peas, the softer and faster they cook. Ready peas should be tender in taste, but at the same time its shell should not burst.
4. Throw boiled peas in a colander and rinse with running cold water. Cooked grains can be used as an independent dish or as an addition to side dishes, soups and salads.
How to boil green peas in pods
1. Rinse the pods of young green peas and remove the hard tips.
2. Pour cold water into a saucepan, put the pods and leave to soak for an hour.
3. Boil water in a separate saucepan, add salt at the rate of a teaspoon of salt to 3 cups of water and dip the soaked pods into it.
4. Set the burner to the maximum level and boil the peas until softened.
5. Throw the boiled pods into a colander and let the liquid drain.
– Brain and smooth-grain varieties are considered the most popular for cooking dishes from green peas. Brain, as a rule, the sweetest, are distinguished by an oval shape and small grain sizes. It is best to use such peas in side dishes, as well as for making mashed potatoes and pates. Smooth-grain varieties are larger in appearance, rounded, perfect as a salad component.
— Fresh peas are quite an expensive product. The cost of packing 250 grams per season (June-August) is 150 rubles. (average in Moscow for the 2017 season, approximate price for June 2017). Therefore, it is most profitable to buy frozen peas .
– When buying, you should pay attention to the packaging, it must be airtight, without grains and pieces of ice sticking together to the touch. Otherwise, it can be concluded that the storage conditions of the product are not observed.
– In order for the pea pods to retain their bright green color, it is recommended to cook them over high heat without a lid.
How to boil frozen green peas
Green peas – 400 grams
Water – 1 liter
Mint – 1-2 sprigs
Salt – 1 tablespoon (without a slide)
Sugar – 1 teaspoon
How to cook frozen green peas
1. Pour 1 liter of water into a saucepan and boil.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of salt (without a slide), 1 teaspoon of sugar (helps preserve the rich color of the grains) to boiling water, stir until completely dissolved and dip 400 grams of frozen peas into water. Cook over high heat under a closed lid for 5-10 minutes until the grains are soft. If desired, during cooking for flavor, you can add 1-2 sprigs of mint to the pan.
3. Throw the boiled peas into a colander or a metal strainer so that all the liquid is glassed, and put on a dish.