Cook callaloo soup for 1 hour.
How to cook callaloo soup
Callaloo leaves – 500 grams
Onion (large) – 1 head
Green onion – 10 grams
Garlic – 2 cloves
Chili pepper – quarter
Turmeric – 1 tablespoon
Thyme – 1 sprig
Okra – 250 grams
Chicken broth – 1 liter
Coconut milk – 1 liter
Crab meat – half a kilo
Salt – 1 teaspoon
Saffron – 1 pinch
Ground black pepper – 1 pinch
Lemon – 1 piece
Vegetable oil – 6 tablespoons
How to make Callaloo Soup
1. Wash callaloo leaves with cold running water.
2. Dry the callala with a paper towel.
3. Remove the hard shell from the stems.
4. Cut the leaves along with the stems.
5. Peel and finely chop the onion.
6. Peel and finely chop the garlic cloves.
7. Wash the okra and cut into thin slices.
8. Heat vegetable oil in a saucepan.
9. Add onion and garlic to oil, add turmeric, chili and thyme.
10. Fry for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly.
11. Add okra and callala, mix and fry over low heat for 5 minutes until the leaves begin to boil.
12. Pour in chicken broth, bring to a boil and reduce heat.
13. Add crab meat and saffron to the soup, cook with the lid closed for 20 minutes.
14. Remove chili, add coconut milk, stir.
15. Add salt and ground black pepper to the soup, boil for another 5 minutes.
The soup is called the name of the callaloo vegetable. Both leaves and stems of this plant are eaten.
– In Russia, where callala is practically not sold, callala can be replaced with fresh or frozen spinach, and canned crab meat can be used.
– To taste, callaloo soup can be pureed with a blender before serving.
– Callaloo is a soup with a very moderate calorie content, it is recommended to serve it with the freshest white bread.