Cook Kaldu Verde for 1 hour.
How to make caldu verde soup
Portuguese or Savoy cabbage – 1 kilogram
Potatoes – 1 kilogram
Olive oil – 6 tablespoons
Garlic – 7 cloves
Chorizo sausage – 500 grams
Onion (medium) – 4 heads
Water -3.5 liters
Salt – 1 tablespoon
How to cook Kaldu Verde soup
1. Pour water into a saucepan and boil over high heat.
2. Pierce the sausages with a knife in several places.
3. Place chorizo in boiled water, cook for 5 minutes.
4. Remove the chorizo from the pan, cut into cubes with a side of 2 centimeters.
5. Wash the cabbage, cut off the rough parts.
6. Finely chop the cabbage leaves.
7. Peel potatoes, wash, cut into strips.
8. Peel, wash and finely chop the onion.
9. Peel the garlic cloves, wash, grate on a fine grater.
10. Heat olive oil in a saucepan.
11. Pour onion into hot oil, fry for 10 minutes over low heat.
12. Add prepared potatoes and chopped garlic to the onion, fry for another 5 minutes.
13. Pour water into the pan, salt.
14. Boil for 20 minutes.
15. When the potatoes are cooked, remove 3 ladles of potatoes from the broth and mash into a puree (with a pusher or blender).
16. Return the crushed potatoes to the soup.
17. Add to chorizo soup, cook for 5 minutes.
18. Put the cabbage in the soup, cook for 4 minutes (it is important not to overcook, so that the cabbage retains a rich color.
The soup is served by pouring olive oil on top.
– Kaldu verde soup – one of the most famous Portuguese dishes , a festive hearty soup, which includes potatoes, onions, cabbage, garlic.
— An important component of the soup is chorizo sausage, a spicy pork sausage. The main spice used in chorizo is paprika, which gives sausage and caldu verde a reddish tinge. In Latin America, hot chili peppers are used instead of paprika. Meat for chorizo can either be ground or finely chopped. Most often, chorizo is sold in a raw smoked or dry-cured version. You can replace the sausage with any raw smoked or dry-cured sausage, and then add paprika to Caldu Verde.
– To taste , you can chop the whole potato in Caldu Verde, or you can puree some and leave some chopped.
– Savoy cabbage can be replaced with young white cabbage or broccoli. The original uses Portuguese (couve gallega), which is practically not found in Russian stores.
— Both Russian and English have a slang definition for money, “cabbage”. Only if we associate the word “cabbage” with ordinary white cabbage, then the Americans mean kale. And this is quite logical: the leaves of Portuguese kale resemble American dollars in their color.