It takes 1.5 hours to prepare Cabbie Claw, of which 40 minutes of cooking.
Cod fillet – 450 grams
Potato – 5 medium-sized tubers
Egg – 1 piece
Milk – 1.5 cups
Flour – 2 tablespoons
Butter – 4 tablespoons
Water – 2 liters
Grated horseradish – 2 teaspoons
Fresh parsley – 1 sprig
Dried parsley – 1 tablespoon
Paprika, pepper – at the tip of a teaspoon
Salt – 2 teaspoons
How to cook cod in Scotch (Cabbie Claw)
1. Rinse 450 grams of cod fillet with cold water, cut into portions.
2. Place the fish meat in a saucepan, add 2 teaspoons of grated horseradish, a sprig of parsley and 1 teaspoon of salt; pour 1 liter of water and put on the stove.
3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook cod fillets for 20 minutes.
4. After the time has elapsed, drain the broth into a separate container, part of the broth will be used in the sauce.
5. Rinse 5 potato tubers, dry with a napkin, peel.
6. Cut the potatoes into several pieces, place in a separate pan, add 1 liter of water, 1 teaspoon of salt and put on fire.
7. Bring water to a boil and boil potatoes for 20 minutes.
8. After the potatoes are ready, drain the broth, add 1 incomplete glass of milk, 2 tablespoons of butter and mix everything thoroughly.
9. Wash 1 egg, place in a separate container, add water and cook for 10 minutes.
10. Cool the egg with cold water, peel and cut into cubes.
11. Put the mashed potatoes in a large deep plate in such a way that a crater is formed in the middle, where you can put the fish meat.
12. On a dish, in potatoes, put the boiled fish fillet and set aside.
13. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a separate saucepan, add 2 tablespoons of flour and keep on low heat for 2 minutes, constantly stirring the food.
14. Then pour the remaining milk and 1.5 cups of fish broth into the pan.
15. Boil the contents of the pan until a thick sauce forms.
16. Pour the diced egg, 1 tablespoon of parsley, pepper, paprika into a container with sauce and mix.
17. Season the mashed potatoes with cod fillet laid out on a dish with the prepared sauce.
– The recipe allows you to cook Cabbie Claw with haddock or blue whiting.
– Only fresh fish is allowed for Cabbie Claw. Ice cream will not give such an aroma and richness to the broth for the sauce and richness in the taste of the dish.
– A pinch of nutmeg can be added to the Cabbie Claw sauce.