Boil black eye beans for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
How to cook black eye beans
Black eye beans – 1 cup
Water – 5 cups
Salt to taste
How to cook
- Put the kettle to boil, and in the meantime rinse the beans under running water.
- Cook beans over high heat for 10 minutes.
- Drain water and rinse beans.
- Pour 1 liter of still hot water from the kettle, add the beans and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, season with salt and cover.
- Cook the beans for another hour over moderate heat.
Black eye beans are the only variety of beans that do not require long soaking, and all because they are not beans at all, despite all the resemblance. In fact, it is cowpea or cowpea. The skin of these fruits is thinner than that of beans, so that water gets to the grain faster.
The black eye can be boiled without draining the water after 10 minutes of cooking, but in order not to risk gas formation in your stomach, it is better to drain the water once.
At the moment, the black eye is common in India, Central Africa and even in the United States of America.