Boil black beans for 10 minutes, then soak for 3-4 hours, and then boil for 1 hour.
How to cook black beans
Black beans – 1 cup
Bay leaves – 2 leaves
Water – 5 cups
How to cook
- Pour black beans with hot water in a kettle.
- Boil the beans for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Cover with a lid and remove the beans from the heat.
- Leave to soak for 3-4 hours.
- After 4 hours, the beans will have doubled in size. It is necessary to drain the water in which it was soaked, then rinse in cold water.
- Bring the kettle back to the boil and cook the beans over moderate heat for about 1 hour.
- Bay leaf can be added immediately after boiling water, and salt after about 20 – 30 minutes, so that the beans do not turn out “oak”.
Of all the variety of legumes, it is the proteins that make up black beans that are closest in their amino acid composition to the proteins found in meat.
In Latin America, where black beans are most popular, they are often eaten in combination with rice and meat, with the beans being the staple in these dishes.