Eggs until fully cooked (hard boiled) are boiled for 10 minutes from the moment of boiling, laying in cold water.
Slightly undercooked eggs are boiled a little less: to get soft-boiled eggs, they are boiled for 5 minutes , in a bag for 5-6 minutes .
Boil homemade fresh chicken eggs longer – from 8 ( soft-boiled ) to 13 minutes (hard-boiled).
How easy it is to color eggs
For the Easter holiday, eggs are dyed and Easter cakes are baked on Holy Week on Maundy Thursday, which falls on April 28 in 2019. On Easter, eggs are not only eaten, but also given to each other with the words “Christ is Risen!” and receive in response: “Truly He is risen!” – this must be taken into account when calculating the required number of Easter eggs. Usually paint at least a dozen.
White eggs – 10 pieces
Salt – 1 tablespoon
Vegetable oil – 1 teaspoon
Water – 1.5 liters
Onion peel – 3 handfuls
How to dye eggs with
onion peel 1. Prepare onion peel, to do this, remove the dry shells from about 15 onions (you can also take the peel in large stores in advance, it usually does not remain by Easter).
2. Wash the eggs thoroughly under running water; the stamp on the variety can be erased with a sponge and detergent. There should be no cracks on the shell, into which the paint will penetrate during cooking, since it will leave unappetizing stains on the protein.
3. Put 25 grams of onion peel (3 handfuls) in a saucepan and pour 1.5 liters of cold water. Onion peel can stain the enamel of the pan, so it’s best to use old cookware.
4. Put the pot with onion peel on the stove, bring the contents to a boil and cook for 10 minutes over low heat under the lid.
5. Cool the resulting broth, which by the end of cooking will acquire a rich red-brown color.
6. Strain the broth through a sieve or colander. In order for the eggs to color evenly, there should be no pieces of husk in the coloring composition. It is possible not to filter, but in this case, stains may remain on the eggs.
7. Pour 1 tablespoon of salt into a slightly cooled coloring broth and lay out the eggs, which should be completely covered with broth. It is better to lay out the eggs in one layer, and if they do not fit, paint in several batches.
8. Bring the contents of the pot to a boil and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
9. After the end of cooking, you can immediately get the eggs, or you can leave them in the broth until cool to get a more saturated color. The coloring composition can be reused if you want to color a large number of eggs.
10. Put the cooled eggs on a paper towel, blot the water.
Easter eggs will turn out bright red. To get light-colored eggs, boil the eggs in onion broth and then remove from it. To get eggs of a rich color, it is enough to hold the eggs in onion broth for 2 hours. To get burgundy eggs, use red onion husks.
Quail and chicken eggs boiled in onion skins
The color of Easter eggs is from bright red to burgundy, the total cooking time is 1-2 hours.
Not only chicken, but also quail eggs are dyed in onion peel. Onion peel can also be used in a more original way: put on eggs, fix with cotton thread and then boil. Eggs will acquire color and original pattern.
Decoration of a colored egg: pour into the palm of your hand and grind 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil. Take each egg and roll it in your palms. As a result of this manipulation, the eggs will become shiny, their color will become brighter.
How to dye eggs with dyes
1. Boil the eggs, cool slightly (not completely, so that the shell does not burst from the temperature drop when the eggs are immersed in hot water.
2. Pour 100 milliliters of hot (80-85 degrees) water into mugs – this is enough, for example, for complete immersion eggs in an Ikea mug
3. Pour and stir the dyes into the mugs with a spoon, to get new colors add several different dyes to the mug.
4. Pour 1 tablespoon of 9% vinegar into mugs, stir and put an egg in each mug. 5. Wait 3-5 minutes, then put the eggs on a plate, wipe each with a clean napkin and, after cooling, put it in the refrigerator.
6. Put the next batch of eggs in the mugs.
If you want even more originality, paint quail eggs , turkey eggs or caesar eggs for Easter.
How to bake Easter cakes
How to make original egg colors
1. Moisten eggs in water and roll in rice. Place each egg in a piece of bandage, which is tied on top. Then cook in any of the described coloring compositions: in onion peel, beetroot broth or brilliant green solution.
2. Similarly, instead of rice, you can use buckwheat, herbs, leaves, millet.
3. Wrap the eggs with cotton threads, preferably thick, and cook in any coloring composition. Under the threads, the shell will stain slightly, so an intricate pattern will appear on the egg.
Eggs in rice
4. Put the eggs in a saucepan, add water and cook after boiling for 10 minutes. Cool under running cold water and pat dry with paper towels. With a sponge, apply freshly squeezed juice of carrots, beets, red or yellow bell peppers to the eggs.
5. Young birch leaves easily stick to the egg. If such an egg is boiled in a coloring composition, a leaf stencil will remain on it.
6. You can use various wrappers and stickers for industrial eggs, or you can show your imagination and paint painted eggs with food paints, varnish or gouache.
7. Various wrappers and stickers for eggs are sold – in the pre-Easter season in almost all grocery stores. They look nice, but there is no personal involvement in the creative process of decorating eggs. In addition, eggs with thermal stickers are not suitable for long-term storage, after a couple of days their shelf life will expire.
8. Easter eggs can be painted with watercolors – they are harmless to health.
How to dye eggs with beets
1. Wash, peel, grate 2 large beets on a coarse grater. The amount of beets can be increased to get a more saturated color.
2. Eggs (10 pieces) wash thoroughly, check that they are not cracked.
3. Pour 1.5 liters of water into a saucepan, add beets, bring the contents of the saucepan to a boil and cook for 40 minutes. To fix the color at the end of cooking, you can add a tablespoon of 9% vinegar or lemon juice.
4. Cool the beetroot broth.
5. Pour a tablespoon of salt into the cold beetroot broth and lay out the eggs, which should be completely covered with the coloring broth.
6. Bring the contents of the pan to a boil and boil the eggs in beetroot broth for 10 minutes.
7. Leave the finished eggs to cool in beetroot broth for 2 hours. To obtain the most saturated color, leave the eggs in beetroot broth for a day.
Dry the eggs with a paper towel and brush each with vegetable oil to add shine.
The color of Easter eggs on beets is burgundy, the total cooking time is 3-10 hours.
How to color eggs with tea
1. Pour a bowl of 2 tablespoons of green tea mate, pour 1 liter of boiling water and leave for half an hour.
2. When the tea is infused and turns green, pour into the tea leaves in a saucepan, lay out the eggs and boil in the tea leaves.
3. Leave the chicken eggs in the tea for another 1 hour.
The color of Easter eggs boiled in green mate tea is pale green, the total cooking time is 2 hours.
How to color eggs with turmeric
1. Pour 1 liter of water into a saucepan, bring to a boil, add 2 tablespoons of turmeric and boil for 2 minutes.
2. Cool the solution so that the eggs do not burst; put the eggs and cook for 10 minutes after boiling.
3. Leave the boiled eggs in the solution for 1 hour.
The color of Easter eggs on turmeric is pale yellow, the total cooking time is 2 hours.
How to dye coffee eggs
1. Pour 10 tablespoons of natural ground coffee into the pan and pour 1 liter of cold water.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of salt and washed eggs to the pan, bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Leave the eggs in coffee dye for 2 hours to brown.
The color of Easter eggs on coffee is brown, the total cooking time is 3.5-4 hours.
How to dye eggs with birch leaves
1. Put 1 cup of dry birch leaves or a bunch of young birch leaves together with twigs in a saucepan, pour cold water and bring to a boil.
2. Birch broth insist half an hour.
3. Pour a tablespoon of salt into the cooled birch broth, lay out the eggs, bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Leave the eggs in the broth for 12 hours, after which they will acquire a beautiful golden hue.
The color of Easter eggs is golden, the cooking time is 12 hours.
How to paint eggs with brilliant green and onion peel “marbled”
Prepare: eggs, onion peel, brilliant green, wide bandage (or nylon foot pads), gloves.
1. From the bandage, cut 10 ties and 10 pieces 20 centimeters long.
2. Cut the onion peel into small pieces with scissors and pour into a bowl.
3. Moisten the eggs in water, dip in a bowl with pieces of onion peel, turn over several times so that the peel sticks to the eggs. To avoid a solid green color, it is important that the crushed husks cover the entire egg.
4. Straighten a piece of bandage, put an egg with a husk in the middle, lift the ends of the bandage up and fasten with a tie. So prepare all 10 eggs. Or pack everything in footprints – 2 eggs will fit in 1 footprint, you can tie them without a thread.
5. Pour 1.5 liters of water into the pan, add 1 tablespoon of salt.
6. Put eggs in a saucepan, bring the contents to a boil, cook for 5 minutes.
7. Pour half a vial of brilliant green – it is better to act with gloves.
8. Infuse eggs in a coloring broth for 10-20 minutes.
9. Take out the eggs, remove the cooking package, rinse with cold water and brush with shine oil.
Painted eggs, including marbled.