Boil sauerkraut soup for 2 hours.
How to cook cabbage soup from sauerkraut
Beef – 500 grams
Sauerkraut – 300 grams
Potatoes – 3 large potatoes
Carrots – 1 piece
Onions – 1 large head
Parsley and green onions – half a bunch
Salt and pepper – to taste
Vegetable oil – 3 tablespoons
Bay leaf – a couple of leaves
1. Pour 3 liters of water into a 4-liter saucepan and put the saucepan on fire, put the beef, salt the water.
2. Cook the meat for 1.5 hours under the lid over low heat, removing the foam; remove from the pan, cut into pieces and return to the broth.
3. Peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes with a side of 1.5 centimeters, put in the broth.
4. Rinse sauerkraut under cold water, squeeze, and add to the broth.
5. Peel the onions and carrots, finely chop the onion, grate the carrots on a coarse grater.
6. Heat up a frying pan, pour vegetable oil, put the onion and fry it, stirring, for 7 minutes over medium heat.
7. Add grated carrots to the onion and fry for another 7 minutes.
8. Add the fried onions and carrots to the broth.
9. Add salt and pepper to taste to the soup, add bay leaf, remove the saucepan with cabbage soup from the heat and cover with a lid.
10. Infuse cabbage soup with sauerkraut under the lid for 20 minutes.
Sauerkraut soup with meat is ready!
Serve cabbage soup with sour cabbage, adding a spoonful of sour cream to each bowl of soup.
Sauerkraut for cabbage soup – cook or stew?
To taste, you can add sauerkraut to the soup and cook as in our recipe, or stew it separately from vegetables. In the latter case, simmer sauerkraut for 30 minutes over low heat without a lid with the addition of 5 tablespoons of meat broth from cabbage soup.
In sauerkraut soup – beef or pork?
Beef is used as the most suitable meat in cabbage soup, however, if you want to make fatty cabbage soup, you can use pork. In soup with sauerkraut “economy” you can even use stew.
How to serve cabbage soup with sauerkraut Serve cabbage soup with sauerkraut
with fresh bread, garlic, croutons. It is delicious to serve adjika or squash caviar on bread.
– Shchi from sauerkraut has been known in Russia since the 11th century and they began to cook it in the fall, when the first sauerkraut reached readiness at the housewives. In winter, cabbage soup was one of the most common types of first courses on the home table. Initially, potatoes were not added to cabbage soup, and the broth was made denser thanks to flour, which was added during the preparation of cabbage soup.
– To cook cabbage soup with the addition of flour for frying, in a pan you need to melt 1 tablespoon of butter, salt the butter, add 1 tablespoon of flour, quickly and thoroughly mix the flour with the butter and carefully, so as not to form lumps, pour in, 70-100 milliliters meat broth. Add vegetables and let simmer for 10 minutes.
– Sauerkraut for cabbage soup can be stewed in a saucepan before lowering into the water. To do this, heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan, add cabbage with 1-2 tablespoons of tomato paste, sprinkle with caraway seeds and simmer for 30 minutes under a closed lid. After that, cabbage can be added to the broth. Stewing will allow cabbage to become soft , and cumin and tomato paste will improve the taste of cabbage soup.
– If sauerkraut is very sour , it can be lightly washed under water, squeezed and added to the broth.
– If cabbage soup turned out sour, the acid can be neutralized by adding soda and sugar. To do this, in warm water you need to dilute a few pinches of soda and 0.5 teaspoon of sugar and carefully add to the cabbage soup. After that, you need to wait for the cabbage soup to boil and taste it. Soften the acid and add 2-3 tablespoons of sour cream to the plate to the cabbage soup.
– Finely chopped garlic can be added to sauerkraut soup to taste, and sprinkled with fresh herbs.
– During Lent, you can cook cabbage soup from sauerkraut with barley, beans, canned fish or mushrooms.
– Sauerkraut soup can be stored in the refrigerator for 4 days in a container with a lid.
– Caloric content of cabbage soup from sauerkraut – 37 kcal / 100 grams.
How to cook lean cabbage soup with sauerkraut
In order to cook lean cabbage soup from sauerkraut, you can replace the meat with mushrooms .
Since lean cabbage soup is usually boiled during Lent, here is a recipe for lean cabbage soup with sauerkraut and dried mushrooms.
Lean sauerkraut soup
Sauerkraut – 500 grams
Dried mushrooms – 50 grams
Onions – 1 head
Carrots – 1 piece
Flour – a heaping tablespoon
Potatoes – 4 medium potatoes
Salt and pepper – to taste
Sunflower oil – 4 tablespoons
How to cook lean sauerkraut soup with mushrooms
1. Soak dried mushrooms in cold water for 3 hours, boil in the same water for 30 minutes with salt.
2. Strain the mushroom broth into a soup pot, chop the mushrooms.
3. Rinse sauerkraut under cold water and squeeze. Heat the frying pan, pour vegetable oil, put the cabbage and simmer it over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Peel and cut the potatoes, put them in the broth.
5. Heat up another frying pan, pour in the oil, pour in the flour and fry it for 3 minutes until pale yellow, stirring occasionally.
6. Pour a glass of mushroom broth into the flour and mix well, then pour the flour mixture into the cabbage soup.
7. Peel the onions and carrots, finely chop the onion, grate the carrots on a coarse grater.
8. Put the stewed sauerkraut in a saucepan with mushrooms, bring to a boil, add the flour mixture.
9. In a frying pan where sauerkraut was stewed, fry onions and carrots for 10 minutes. Then add the frying to the soup, cook the soup for another 5 minutes, salt and pepper to taste.
How to cook lean cabbage soup with sauerkraut and mushrooms in a
multicooker 1. Stew sauerkraut in the “Stewing” mode for an hour and a half with a small addition of water, then transfer from the multicooker to a bowl.
2. Put chopped potatoes, soaked mushrooms into the slow cooker, pour them with water and cook them for 1 hour in the “Stewing” mode, put them in a bowl.
3. Peel and cut onions and carrots, fry for 10 minutes in the “Baking” mode with the addition of vegetable oil.
4. Add potatoes, cabbage and, if necessary, water, salt, add pepper and cook on the “Stew” mode for 1 hour.