Cook rowan compote for 3 minutes after boiling. In total, it will take an hour to prepare rowan compote.
Mountain ash – 2 kilograms
Sugar – 500-700 grams
Water – 1.5 liters
How to cook rowan compote
1. Sort the berries for compote, remove twigs and leaves, rinse under cold water.
2. Pour 1.5 liters of water into the pan, put on fire and bring the water to a boil.
3. When the water boils, put the mountain ash into it, add sugar and cook for 3 minutes, stirring, the sugar should completely dissolve.
4. Pour the finished compote into hot sterilized jars and roll up.
5. Turn the jars upside down, cover with a blanket and cool in this state.
After cooling, the workpiece is removed to a dark, cool place.
– The season for preparing compote from ordinary (red) mountain ash is from late August to early November.
– Rowan blanks are very rare to find in Moscow stores. As a rule, you can buy dried mountain ash (for 50 grams, 55 rubles for July 2020). Kalina is a very rare berry, it is recommended to look for it in the villages of ecologically clean areas. Because viburnum grows on trees, even 1 tree will be enough for harvesting.
– For harvesting compote, it is necessary to select ripe juicy berries, because. unripe ones will not give their juiciness to compote.
– Harvesting compote from mountain ash with proper sterilization of jars will be stored for 3 years.
– Instead of water for cooking compote, you can use apple juice.
– If the compote from mountain ash turned out to be bitter, it is necessary to freeze it in the freezer the next time you collect the mountain ash. Frozen mountain ash will not be bitter.
– When cooking, you can add apples, rose hips, plums or cherries to the compote.