It takes 5 hours to prepare the pickle. Net time in the kitchen – 1 hour.
How to cook pickle
Ingredients for cooking
for a 5-liter soup pot
Beef on the bone – 700 grams
Barley – 0.7 cups
Pickled cucumbers – 5 small
Cucumber pickle – 2 cups
Potatoes – 5 medium potatoes
Onions – 2 heads
Carrots – 2 pieces
Sunflower oil – 2 tablespoons tablespoons
Lavrushka – 2 leaves
Black peppercorns – 5 pieces
Salt – 1 tablespoon
How to cook pickle
1. Measure out 0.7 cups of barley.
2. Pour barley into a bowl, rinse until clean water and pour cold water for 4-5 hours.
3. Meat, if frozen, thaw and wash.
4. Pour 3 liters of cold water into a 5-liter saucepan, put the meat and add a tablespoon of salt.
5. Put the pan on the fire and wait for it to boil. As soon as the water boils, monitor the appearance of foam – it must be removed with a slotted spoon.
6. Boil the broth for pickle for 1.5 hours over low heat with low bubbling, covered with a lid. Then take the beef out of the broth.
7. Cool the beef slightly, separate the meat from the bone and divide into pieces. Strain the broth and return to the pan, put the chopped meat into the broth for the pickle.
8. Pour the barley soaked and then washed, and put on a quiet fire.
9. Peel onions and carrots, finely chop onions, rub carrots on a coarse grater. Heat up a frying pan, add oil, put the onion and fry it for 5 minutes over medium heat without a lid.
10. Then put the carrots to the onion and fry for another 5 minutes.
11. Put cucumbers on a board, cut into thin strips or rub on a coarse grater. Add cucumbers to the pan with onions and carrots, pour in 3 tablespoons of cucumber pickle and simmer covered over low heat for 5 minutes.
12. Pour 1 cup of brine into the broth.
13. Peel the potatoes, cut into cubes with a side of 1.5 centimeters, put in the broth.
14. 5 minutes after boiling the water again, put the roast in the pickle, add 1 bay leaf.
15. Boil the pickle for another 10 minutes, add salt (pouring in the brine) and pepper to taste. Boil for a couple more minutes. Your pickle is ready!
How to cook delicious pickle
How much barley to put
The standard proportions of a pickle of medium density are 1/7 cup per 1 liter of the pan, designed for a volume of 250 milliliters. For a 3 liter pot, you need a little less than half a glass of barley. On a pickle pan 5 liters – 0.7 cups. If you like brothy soup, put a third less.
When to add cucumbers and brine
All chopped or grated cucumbers are put in a frying, at the end of which a few tablespoons of brine are poured. The rest of the brine is poured directly into the broth before laying the potatoes. The standard proportion is 1/5 cup of brine for 1 liter of water.
For those who do not like fried onions in the soup, two halves of the onion can be added to the pickle broth. After about 30 minutes, the onion will be cooked and transfer all of its flavor to the broth, then it can be removed from the broth (and discarded). At the stage of cooking frying for onions, carrots and cucumbers, you can add 1 tablespoon of sour cream. Then the pickle turns out to be more fat and rich. To taste, you can add 1 finely chopped tomato to the frying. In the soup itself, you can add capers and olives cut into circles or in half (at the stage of adding potatoes). If the cucumbers are hard, you should peel them and grate them on a coarse grater, or cut them thinly. In order for the potatoes in the pickle to turn out soft, it is important to add the roast with pickles to the broth 15-20 minutes after adding the potatoes.
Italian seasonings are excellent in the pickle. Seasonings for pickle – basil, turmeric, fennel, oregano. Since brine and pickles are added to the pickle, special care must be taken when adding salt.
Meat on the bone in a pickle is used to increase the pickle’s fat and give the original flavor to the broth.
How to serve pickle
Serve pickle should be with sour cream (which can be ground with egg yolks) and fresh herbs – dill or parsley. To taste, chopped garlic and celery are added to the pickle.
How to make pickle broth clear
To make the pickle broth transparent, it is worth boiling barley separately – then rinse and only then add to the soup. When cooking broth from pickle, it is also necessary to regularly remove the resulting foam with a slotted spoon or a tablespoon.
How to cook pickle faster
– If you want to save time on soaking barley, you can add it at the stage of adding meat to water – and cook it along with the meat. But the consistency of barley will be a little rougher than in the classic recipe. Or you can use barley in sachets for pickle. At the same time, it is important not to overdo it with the soaking time of barley – after 12 hours of soaking, barley begins to deteriorate.
– In the recipe, beef meat can be replaced with chicken meat, offal (kidneys and offal) can also be used, and barley can be replaced with rice or millet. Then the cooking time of the ingredients will decrease accordingly – cook the broth for pickle on chicken for 40 minutes, and cook rice or millet in pickle for 20 minutes.
The sequence of adding products to the pickle
How much to cook food in pickle
1. Meat – 1.5 hours.
2. Barley after 4 hours of soaking – half an hour.
3. Potato – 15 minutes.
4. Frying – 5 minutes; pickles, if not added to the frying, add 7 minutes before the end of cooking.
About the history of pickle
— Rassolnik is a dish of Russian cuisine. It has been known in Russia since the 15th century and was called Kalya. Kalya was cooked in cucumber brine with the addition of meat or fish.
The cost of products for pickle
The cost of products is from 450 rubles / 5 liters of pickle (on average in Moscow as of July 2019).
The energy value of pickle
– The calorie content of pickle is 47 kcal / 100 grams.