Cook millet-rice porridge in a saucepan for 40 minutes after boiling, leave for 20 minutes.
In a slow cooker, cook millet-rice porridge for 40 minutes, leave for another 30 minutes.
How to cook millet-rice porridge
for 4 adult servings
Rice – 100 grams (half a glass)
Millet – 110 grams (half a glass)
Sugar – 2 tablespoons
Salt – a quarter of a teaspoon
Milk – 1 liter
Butter – 50 grams
How to cook millet-rice porridge
1. Pour half a glass of rice and half a glass of millet into a deep bowl.
2. Rinse the grits: pour water, mix, drain the water – repeat 4 times.
3. Pour 1 liter of milk into a saucepan, put on a small fire, bring to a boil.
4. Pour washed rice and millet into a saucepan with boiling milk.
5. Add a quarter teaspoon of salt and two tablespoons of sugar, mix.
6. Reduce the heat to the smallest, cook for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Put 25 grams of butter in a pan with porridge, mix.
8. Cover the pot with porridge with a towel and let stand for 20 minutes.
When serving, add a teaspoon of butter to a plate with millet-rice porridge.
How to cook millet-rice porridge in a multicooker
1. Pour the washed cereals into the multicooker container.
2. Pour milk into the cereals, add salt and sugar.
3. Add softened butter and mix well.
4. Set the slow cooker to the “Milk porridge” mode, cook millet and rice porridge for 45 minutes, then leave for 30 minutes without opening the lid.
How long to keep in the oven
Turn on the oven at the very beginning of cooking. For the oven, use pots instead of a saucepan, put porridge in them at 2/3 levels. Put in the oven for 30 minutes at a temperature of 200 degrees, then leave for another 30 minutes in the oven turned off.
– Traditional friendship porridge is made from millet and rice, but sometimes buckwheat, corn grits are added. Such porridge was cooked in Soviet kindergartens, so for many it evokes pleasant associations.
– For the greatest richness, millet porridge should be wrapped in a warm blanket for half an hour.
– In order for millet-rice porridge to be rich, it should be cooked under a tightly closed lid. If the lid does not fit tightly to the pan, a layer of foil should be laid, which should be covered with a lid on top.
For a creamier taste, increase the proportion of milk, or use milk with a higher fat content. For the diet option, use only water. For greater viscosity, increase the proportion of millet in the porridge.
– For children under 1 year old, millet-rice porridge should be crushed with a blender. And an unusual adult option – 2 minutes before being ready, add a couple of tablespoons of sour cream with a fat content of 20-30% to the porridge.
– Another name for millet-rice porridge is Friendship porridge. Those born in the USSR may remember it from summer camps, where millet-rice porridge was cooked quite often in canteens.
– Porridge cooked in a double-bottomed pan does not burn.
– You can get rid of the bitterness inherent in millet by soaking the cereal for 20 minutes in hot boiled water.
– Instead of 1 liter of milk, you can take 500 milliliters of water and 500 milliliters of milk.
– Millet-rice porridge is often boiled with pumpkin, grated on a coarse grater (for 100 grams of rice and 100 grams of millet – 150 grams of pumpkin).
– Millet rice porridge is combined with dried apricots and raisins, which are added at the end of cooking. If desired, porridge can be poured with condensed milk or honey.
– Calorie content of millet-rice porridge – 340 kcal / 100 grams.
– The average cost of groceries in Moscow in June 2020 for the preparation of 4 adult servings of millet and rice porridge is 80 rubles.
– Store millet-rice porridge for 48 hours in the refrigerator. Before serving, heat in butter in a frying pan.