The total cooking time of mung bean is 45 minutes. Before cooking, pour the mung beans into a sieve and rinse under running water, put in a saucepan with boiling water in the ratio of 1 cup of cereal: 2.5 cups of boiling water, bring the water to a boil, cook for 30 minutes over low heat. Salt the mung beans 10 minutes before the end of cooking so that the beans do not become tough. You can add some sunflower oil.
How to cook mash
You will need – 1 glass of mung bean, 2.5 glasses of water
1. Measure out 1 cup of mung bean.
2. Pour mung bean into a bowl.
3. Rinse with cold water.
4. Pour 2.5 cups of water into a saucepan, put on fire and bring to a boil.
5. Put the cereal in the water.
6. After 20 minutes, salt the mash.
7. Pour a tablespoon of vegetable oil into the pan.
8. Cook the mung bean for another 10 minutes: almost all of the water should be absorbed into the mung bean.
9. Put the mung bean in a colander to drain excess liquid.
10. Put the mung bean on a plate and serve, your mung bean is ready!
How to cook kitchari
Mash – half a cup
Rice – 1 cup
Cauliflower – several inflorescences about 100 grams
Tomato – 1 small
Carrot – 1 small or half large
Gee butter – 2 tablespoons
Ginger – half a tablespoon
Cumin – a tablespoon
Cumin – 1 tablespoon
Turmeric – a teaspoon spoon
Coriander – teaspoon
Asafoetida – a pinch.
Preparation of kichari
Rinse mung bean, cook for 10 minutes, then add vegetables, after another 10 minutes – washed rice , cook for 20 minutes. Heat a frying pan a little, pour ghee oil on its bottom. Until the oil boils, add cumin, coriander, turmeric and asafoetida to it. Add all spices and salt to the pan, mix well. Simmer another 7 minutes.
The amount of water for making kichari is 10 cups.
Very rare spices and oil for cooking kitchari can be purchased at Indian food stores.
Soup with mash
per pan 2.5 liters
Green mung bean – 300 grams
Minced meat – 400 grams
Potatoes – 4 pieces
Bulb onion – 1 onion
Carrots – 1 piece
Garlic – 3 cloves
Greens – 1 bunch
Vegetable oil – 3 tablespoons
Salt and pepper – to taste
Water – 1.5 liters
How to cook soup with mung bean and minced meat
1. Pour 150 grams of mung bean into the pan, rinse.
2. Pour in 1.5 liters of water and put on fire.
3. After boiling water, detect 30 minutes: cook over low heat, add salt 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
4. Wash and peel potatoes, onions, carrots and garlic. Cut potatoes into small cubes.
5. Grate the carrots on a coarse grater, finely chop the onion and garlic.
6. Pour two tablespoons of vegetable oil into the pan, add onion and garlic, fry until golden brown.
7. Then add the grated carrots and fry for another 5 minutes over low heat, stirring constantly.
8. Add minced meat to the roast, mix everything and fry for another 7 minutes; Add salt and pepper to taste.
9. After 30 minutes of cooking, add the roast and chopped potatoes to the pan.
10. Stir the soup, let it boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
11. Wash, dry and finely chop the greens.
Sprinkle the soup with herbs before serving.
Fun facts about masha
Mash is a leguminous crop originating from India. It is eaten whole (with green husks) or peeled (then the color of mung bean is light, as in our picture). Very common in China.
People often ask whether it is necessary to soak mash. Mash should not be soaked. Although the cereal belongs to the beans, it is very tender and after half an hour of cooking it begins to boil soft. Even if you need porridge, it is enough to cook cereals without soaking, just increase the cooking time to 40 minutes.
When cooking, mung bean increases by 2 times.
Calorie mung bean – 312 kcal / 100 grams.
Mash is also called “golden bean” or “mung beans” or “mung dal” (“mung dhal”).