Stuffed cabbage is boiled in a double boiler for 30 – 40 minutes. In a regular saucepan – 20 – 25 minutes.
How to cook lazy cabbage rolls
Rice – 100 grams (a little more than a third of a regular cup)
Minced meat – 500 grams
White cabbage – 700 grams (half of a medium fork)
Onion – 1 head
Carrots – 1 medium
Salt, black pepper – to taste
Water – half a glass
Tomato juice – half a glass of
vegetable oil – 3-5 tablespoons
How to cook
- Put the rice on a slow fire to cook.
- Cut the onion into thin strips and start frying in vegetable oil in a saucepan or deep frying pan.
- Add finely grated carrots to the onion.
- Fry vegetables until golden brown over moderate heat.
- Add minced meat to golden vegetables.
- Stirring, fry for 5-7 minutes.
- Add shredded cabbage to skillet and stir.
- After 3 minutes, add rice cooked until half cooked.
- Pour in the tomato juice diluted with water.
- Add salt and ground black pepper.
- Mix and cover.
- Simmer over moderate heat until fully cooked.
If you want to form lazy cabbage rolls into cutlets, then cool the fried vegetables first so that the minced meat does not change its consistency and does not burn your hands.
You can add some mushrooms, bell peppers, hot peppers to vegetables, or even replace rice with buckwheat – do not be afraid to experiment with a combination of different ingredients.
If you do not have tomato juice on hand, then you can replace it with tomato paste by frying a couple of tablespoons with vegetables or diluting it with water and adding it along with rice.
Don’t go overboard with cabbage if you don’t want its flavor to dominate your dish. In addition, the more cabbage there is, the more moisture will be released from it during stewing, which means that the cooking time will increase.
In order to give the dish a creamy flavor, you can add cream or milk instead of water, or dilute sour cream with water and add grated cheese at the end of cooking.