To prepare kvass in the kitchen, you will have to spend a couple of hours. The time of fermentation and maturation of kvass is 2-3 days.
bread kvass recipe
Rye bread (Borodinsky) – 300 grams
Fresh yeast – 30 grams
Sugar – half a glass of 250 milliliters
Raisins – 1 handful
Water – 4 liters
How to cook kvass from rye bread
1. Cut 200 grams of bread into long strips 2 cm wide.
2. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees for 10 minutes.
3. Line a baking sheet with baking paper, lay out the bread.
4. Place the baking tray with the bread on the middle rack of the oven.
5. Bake the bread for 15 minutes, then turn over and bake for another 15 minutes – a dark, but not black crust should form.
6. Pour 1 liter of water into a saucepan and put on high heat, bring to a boil under the lid and turn off.
7. Put crackers in boiling water, add a third of a glass of sugar, mix, cover and leave to ferment at room temperature for 3-4 hours.
8. Pour a little water into a bowl, put 25 grams of fresh yeast into it and mix; Return mixture to saucepan and stir.
9. Wrap the pan with future kvass in a linen cloth and leave to ripen at room temperature for 36 hours.
10. Pass kvass through a cloth, sweeten with the remaining sugar (to taste) and add a handful of raisins.
11. Loosely cover kvass and remove to ripen for 24 hours in the refrigerator.
12. Carefully drain the kvass into a jar, bypassing the sediment.
13. Store the resulting kvass in the refrigerator for a week.
– The calorie content of homemade rye kvass is 27 kcal / 100 milliliters.
– Raisins are added to bread kvass so that it acquires carbonated properties and sharpness.
— The average cost of homemade rye kvass is 80 rubles (the price is indicated on average in Moscow as of June 2020).
– Kvass should be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
– The sediment (kvass wort) must be stored in the refrigerator, then on its basis you can prepare kvass without using yeast.
Raisin kvass recipe
Products for 3 liters
Black raisins – 1.5 kilograms
Honey – 500 grams
Raw egg white – 2 pieces
Grape yeast – 30 grams
Water – 3 liters
How to cook kvass from raisins
1. Rinse well 1.5 kilograms of raisins and put them in a saucepan.
2. Pour a liter of water, put on medium heat and cook until the raisins soften for half an hour.
3. Remove the raisins from the pan with a slotted spoon.
4. Rub the raisins and return to the water in which they were boiled.
5. Add 500 grams of honey and boiled water to bring to a volume of 3.2 liters.
6. Stir the mixture, put on a slow fire and boil, stirring constantly and removing the foam, for half an hour.
7. When the foam stops appearing, cool the liquid to room temperature (about 20 degrees) and beat 1 egg white into it so that the kvass is not cloudy.
8. Cover kvass with a lid and leave to ferment for a day.
9. Carefully pour the drink into a clean container, add 20 grams of yeast and leave to ripen for 2-3 days.
10. After fermentation, let the kvass settle, then pour it into a clean container and put it in the refrigerator or cellar for three days to ripen the kvass.
– The calorie content of kvass from raisins is approximately 80 cal / 100 milliliters.
– The average cost of products for raisin kvass is from 600 rubles / 3 liters (the price is indicated on average in Moscow for June 2020).
– To taste, you can add the juice of 1 lemon to kvass.
Recipe for kvass from rye flour
Sourdough products (for 3 liters of kvass)
Rye flour – 1 tablespoon
Sugar – 2 tablespoons
Raisins – 10 berries
Products for kvass
Rye flour – 200 grams
Sugar – half a glass
Water – 3 liters
How to make sourdough from rye flour
1. Mix 1 tablespoon of rye flour and 2 tablespoons of sugar and add water, stirring, until the consistency of sour cream is obtained.
2. Invest in the future kvass wort 5 pieces of washed raisins.
3. Put the jar of sourdough in a warm place for 4 days until sourness appears in the sourdough. The jar must be larger than 0.5 liters to avoid leakage.
How to cook rye kvass
1. Boil 3 liters of water.
2. Pour 200 grams of rye flour and half a glass of sugar into the container in which kvass will be made, and gradually dilute the resulting mixture with water, first adding warm water (a little), and then boiling water (also a little).
3. Stir the mixture until there are no lumps.
4. Cover the container with a lid, put the starter for kvass on top, cover with a towel and leave for 4.5 hours.
5. Pour the starter into kvass, stir well, cover with a lid, and on top with gauze or linen.
6. Leave kvass to ferment for 6.5 hours, during which time do not open the container. During this time, a foam forms on the surface of the kvass, which indicates the readiness of the kvass.
7. Pour kvass into jars or bottles and refrigerate.
– Kvass from rye flour can not only quench thirst in the summer and use in okroshka , but it can also be used to treat beriberi, gastritis with acidity below normal, heart disease, hypertension, weakened immunity, dysbacteriosis. Since the calorie content of kvass from rye flour is very low, it can be safely consumed by those who are on a diet.
– The average cost of self-made kvass from rye flour is approximately 60 rubles / 3 liters.
– The shelf life of kvass is 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
– When preparing kvass from rye flour, you can add a little mint or thyme.
— Rye flour kvass contains vitamins B, K, C, E, as well as calcium, phosphorus, sodium, magnesium, potassium, zinc, copper, selenium, manganese and iron. It also contains the amino acids threonine and lysine, which are not produced in our body.
Kvass recipe on birch sap
Products for 3 liters of kvass
Birch sap – 3 liters
Raisins – 20 pieces
Sugar – half a glass
How to cook kvass on birch sap
1. Collect 3 liters of birch sap, strain through several layers of gauze, thus clearing it of debris.
2. Add 20 pieces of raisins and 150 grams of sugar and leave to ferment for 42 hours in a cool place.
3. Strain the resulting kvass, cork the bottles.
4. It is necessary to store kvass in a cold place.
– The calorie content of birch kvass is – 15 kal / 100 milliliters.
– When preparing birch, it is advisable to use enameled or glass containers.
— When buying birch sap for kvass, it is important to buy juice packed in glass bottles, not plastic ones, since plastic negatively affects the quality of the product. The color of the juice should be transparent, without turbidity and impurities.
– Birch kvass is very useful for the digestive system, it quenches thirst well and is a prophylactic for various diseases.
— Birch kvass contains a lot of microelements, especially potassium and magnesium. Potassium is able to relieve swelling and, in combination with magnesium, prevent bones from breaking down.
– You can store birch sap until autumn.
– The average cost of products for birch kvass (with independent collection of birch sap) – from 30 rubles / 3 liters (the price is indicated on average in Moscow as of June 2020).
Kvass on malt
Water – two liters
Rye malt – half a glass
Sugar – half a glass
Dry yeast – 7 grams
Preparation of kvass
1. Pour water into a saucepan and boil it.
2. Cool the water to seventy degrees, then pour in the malt. At this temperature, the malt dissolves better.
3. While stirring, try to get rid of lumps. Lumps are easily avoided if the malt is first dissolved in a small amount (150 grams) of water, stirring it with a fork. Then pour into the main volume of water.
4. Leave to infuse at room temperature (24-26 degrees) for at least two hours, covering the dishes with a lid.
5. Pour a quarter cup of water from the pan into a mug.
6. Dissolve yeast in it. The water temperature should be no more than 20-25 degrees. Since yeasts are living microorganisms, they may not survive at higher temperatures, and the yeast will not have the desired effect.
7. Let stand for 3-5 minutes and pour the dissolved yeast into a saucepan with malt and stir.
8. Pour sugar and mix.
9. Try, if necessary, you can add more sugar.
10. Put in a warm place for eight hours for fermentation (a biochemical process that is caused by microorganisms and leads to the breakdown of organic matter), as a result of which bubbles will rise in a continuous stream from bottom to top.
11. Lay gauze in four, and preferably in six layers, and strain kvass through it.
12. Pour strained kvass into bottles and put in the refrigerator to cool.