Soak the beans for 3-4 hours, then cook for 40-60 minutes (depending on the variety and age of the cereal, it is recommended to try).
How to cook string beans
Variegated beans – 1 cup
Water – 5 cups
Black pepper – 2 peas
Salt – 1 teaspoon
Vegetable oil – 1 tablespoon
How to cook
- Boil water in a kettle.
- Rinse the beans and cover with water from the kettle.
- Cover the container with beans and leave to soak for 3-4 hours.
- Drain the water in which the beans were soaked, and rinse them again under running water.
- Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil to the water – this will give the beans softness.
- Boil water in a kettle and pour beans over it.
- Boil 40-60 minutes; in a pressure cooker or slow cooker-pressure cooker – 15 minutes, then release the pressure naturally for 20 minutes.
- 10 minutes before the end of cooking, add salt and spices.
Beans can also be poured with cold water, but in this case it will need to be left to soak for 6 to 8 hours or one night.
Do not add tomatoes, lemon juice, or salt to the beans in the first half of the boil, otherwise the beans will become tough and will need to be cooked for about twenty minutes longer than usual.
Beans are a perishable product, so they should not be stored in the refrigerator for more than three days.
To save time, you can cook several servings of beans at once, and after it has cooled down, arrange it in portions in disposable bags and freeze. The next time you need beans, simply defrost them in the microwave or pour hot water over them.
For soups, the beans need to be undercooked a little (about 20 minutes) so that they do not boil already in the soup pot, including if you are going to freeze the excess in the future.
The variegated beans are most often used for stewing with vegetables, meat and making sauces.
Soaking beans is necessary not only because it reduces the cooking time, but also because when they get into the water, the beans release sugars that are not digested by the human body. It is because of them that inept housewives call dishes from legumes musical, because these sugars cause gas formation and complicate the digestion process.