Soak red rice in water for 2-3 hours, rinse, transfer to a saucepan. Add water in a ratio of 1:2.5, cook for 35 minutes to 1 hour.
How to cook red rice
Red rice – 1 cup
Water – 2.5 cups
Butter or vegetable oil – 1 tablespoon
Salt – to taste
1. Inspect and, if necessary, sort out 1 cup of red rice, removing the husks and pebbles.
2. Rinse the selected rice thoroughly under running water until the water runs clear.
3. Pour the rice into a heavy bottomed saucepan.
4. Pour rice with 2.5 cups of water – cold or hot, it does not matter for the result, so use the handy one.
5. Add salt to taste.
6. Turn on the gas on a big fire and wait for the water to boil.
7. After the water boils, reduce the heat to a minimum and cook the rice for 35 minutes under the lid. Keep in mind that red rice produces a lot of foam even on low heat, so check periodically to see if the water is running away.
8. Remove the foam formed on the water with a spoon.
9. After 35 minutes, check the rice for softness. If it is not soft enough, leave it on a minimum heat under the lid for another 10 minutes, while all the water should be absorbed into the grains.
10. Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable or butter to ready-made hot rice, mix and serve as a side dish or an independent dish.
Red rice is one of the healthiest varieties of rice due to its preserved shell, which contains vitamins, fiber and minerals. However, because of this shell, red rice does not have such a silky texture as regular rice , it is rough and grassy, so in its pure form, red rice side dish will not be to everyone’s taste. However, if you mix ordinary and red rice (1: 1 is recommended for testing, and then vary the proportions to taste), you get a more familiar dish, both healthy and interesting, with the smell of rye bread.
Ready-made red rice is especially tasty if sprinkled with lemon or lime juice before serving. Red rice can be cooked with sugar and served as a sweet dish on its own with milk and dried fruits.
Red rice fibers regulate bowel function, help normalize blood sugar, remove cholesterol from the body, and also reduce weight.
The average cost of red rice in Moscow in June 2017 is from 100 rubles/500 grams. Raw cereal is stored for 1 year.
The calorie content of red rice is 330 kcal / 100 grams, only 14 kcal less than usual.