Pork knuckle for soup, smoking, baking, cook for 1 hour, for jelly – 2-3 hours.
How to cook pork knuckle
1. Wash the pork knuckle.
2. Clean the shank for soup or jelly from skin and fat, do not clean the shank for further baking or smoking.
3. Peel and wash two onions and carrots.
4. Wash four stalks of celery, cut each stalk across.
5. Pour three liters of water into a large saucepan, put the pork knuckle, whole onions, carrots, celery stalks.
6. Put three cloves, anise star, 10 thyme stalks, 8 peppercorns, three bay leaves in a special culinary bag for cooking spices or in a homemade bag made of clean gauze tied with culinary twine.
7. Put the bag in a pan with a knuckle and vegetables.
8. Place the pot with the knuckle over medium heat, wait until it boils.
9. Cook the shank for 1 hour under the lid, removing the foam from the surface of the broth.
10. Remove the shank from the broth – for further baking, smoking or cooking soup, the meat and broth are ready.
11. Strain the broth from the jelly shank.
12. Pour the strained broth back into the pot.
13. Put the shank in a saucepan with broth, bring to a boil again over moderate heat, cook, removing the foam, 1-2 hours – until the liquid becomes half as much.
– Pork knuckle is boiled to cook jellied meat or a rich broth for soup, or then to get a boiled-smoked knuckle as a result. Boiled-smoked knuckle is served sliced or on sandwiches. Another boiled-smoked knuckle can be used to make pea soup.
– Boiled-smoked pork knuckle can be served as a main dish with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. It is enough just to remove oily skin from the shank.