How to cook pea soup
Split peas – 1.5 cups
Smoked pork belly – 300 grams
Carrots – 1 piece
Onion – 1 piece
Vegetable oil – 3 tablespoons
Salt – 1 teaspoon without top
Parsley – a few leaves for decoration
Water – 5 cups
How to cook pea soup puree
1. Pour 2 cups of split peas into a colander and rinse under running water.
2. Transfer the peas to a saucepan, pour 2 cups of water and leave for 3 hours.
3. Cut into small pieces 1 onion.
4. Grate 1 carrot on a coarse grater.
5. Cut into small cubes 300 grams of smoked pork belly.
6. In a saucepan with swollen peas, add 3 cups of water, put on medium heat.
7. Bring the contents of the pan to a boil, remove the foam.
8. Boil the peas for 40 minutes to 1 hour (depending on the variety and age of the peas) over low heat, stirring occasionally.
9. Pour 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil into the pan, put on medium heat, warm for 1 minute.
10. Put the onions and carrots into the pan, fry over medium heat, stirring, for 7 minutes.
11. Put the fried onions and carrots in a saucepan with peas, add 1 teaspoon of salt and cook for another 10 minutes.
12. Remove the pot of peas from the heat and puree with a blender.
13. Pour 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil into a frying pan and add brisket cubes, fry over high heat for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
14. Add the brisket to the pot with the pea puree, heat the puree soup for 3 minutes (or you can serve the brisket by putting it on plates).
15. Garnish the pea soup puree with parsley leaves.
Serve pea soup with white bread croutons.
Pea soup in a slow cooker
1. Soak 1.5 cups of peas in 2 liters of water directly in a slow cooker for 3 hours, then cook in the “buckwheat” or “rice” mode for 1-1.5 hours.
2. After the peas are fully cooked, add the frying and grind with a blender.
Serve pea puree soup, garnished with parsley leaves, bacon pieces, with croutons.
How to improve the taste of pea soup
To make pea soup more fatty and rich, you can boil it in chicken or meat broth, and to make pea soup puree lush, you can add 1 diced potato.
If the peas are not pre-soaked, then the cooking time should be increased to 1.5-2 hours. By the way, when cooking peas, it is worth considering its packing date and type – old peas are cooked longer than young ones, and split peas are cooked faster than whole ones.
Instead of bacon, you can add a little smoked sausage or fried mushrooms to mashed pea soup.
How to fry crackers for pea soup
Cut the loaf pieces into cubes with a side of 1-1.5 centimeters, put on a baking sheet and dry in the oven for 15 minutes at a temperature of 180 degrees. Or, you can fry the crackers in a frying pan without oil over low heat, stirring constantly. Read more about how to bake croutons.
About Pea Soup
– Freshly brewed pea soup looks runny, but once it’s cooled down a bit, it will take on the consistency of mashed potatoes.
– Calorie content of pea soup-puree – 260 kcal / 100 grams.
– The average cost of groceries in Moscow in July 2019 for making pea soup-puree with brisket – from 430 rubles.
Pea soup can be stored for 48 hours in the refrigerator.