The whole process of cooking soup takes 3 hours.
How to cook oxtail soup
Fresh oxtail – 800 grams
Carrots – 1 piece
Celery – 1/2 medium tuber
Beetroot – 1 piece
Onion – 3 pieces
Chives – 5 feathers
Garlic – 1 whole head
Ketchup – 150 grams
Mineral still water – 1.5 liters
Rosemary – 1 sprig
Dry marjoram – 1 tablespoon
Black peppercorns – 10 peas
Black pepper – to taste
Bay leaf – 2 leaves
Olive oil – 50 grams
Soy sauce – 2 tablespoons
How to cook oxtail soup
1. Wash the tail and cut into pieces.
2. Heat a saucepan, add oil and fry the meat until brown.
3. Wash, peel, cut onions, carrots, a quarter of the beets into small cubes and add to the saucepan.
4. Wash and coarsely chop the fresh celery and add to the saucepan.
5. Add all the listed spices.
6. Wash and cut the chives and send to the dish.
7. Simmer all ingredients until soft.
8. Boil 1.5 liters of mineral water.
9. Pour the finished dish with the resulting boiling water.
10. Add 100 g of good ketchup.
11. Dip 6 cloves of garlic in boiling water.
12. Close the lid, adjust the fire to a minimum and leave the dish for 2 hours.
– For soup, you can use the tails along with the cartilage or pre-separate the cartilage from the meat.
– In the recipe, instead of 100 grams of ketchup, you can use 50 grams of tomato paste.
– The weight of one tail is 700-800 grams.
– Oxtail soup is recommended to infuse for at least 12 hours (and preferably 24 hours) so that it acquires a rich taste. This is the so-called soup of the second day.
– It is best to cook oxtail soup in a cast iron pot, in this dish the soup is better infused.
Three Ways to Make Oxtail
Soup – Spanish Oxtail Soup . The main difference of this method is that the meat is first boiled in water for 2-2.5 hours, and then removed, and the dish is then cooked like a regular soup. Potatoes are placed in the dish. The meat is separated from the bones and added to the soup only 10 minutes before cooking.
— German oxtail soup . The German recipe involves the use of wine. The tails are fried with carrots, onions and parsley, and then boiled for 3 hours. After that, all the ingredients are taken out of the soup and they conjure over the broth: degrease, clarify, strain, add boiled wine, starch and spices. Then all the ingredients (including boneless meat) are returned to the soup. Tomato paste and beets are not used.
— English oxtail soup . The English recipe adds potatoes to the soup. At the same time, the roots and meat are first fried for half an hour, and then boiled for half an hour. Then potatoes are added to the dish, and it is cooked for exactly as long as the potatoes are cooked – 15-20 minutes.