Boil medium-grain rice for 25 minutes after boiling water, then leave for 5 minutes.
How to cook medium grain rice
You will need – 1 cup rice, 2 cups water
1. Fill the pot with cold clean water, salt. The proportions of water and rice are 1:2.
2. Place the saucepan on the stove, bring the liquid to a boil over high heat.
3. At the moment of boiling, pour medium-grain rice into the container, stir the product thoroughly, reduce the fire.
4. Close the pot with a lid, leaving a hole for steam to escape. Cook medium grain rice for 25 minutes.
5. Then remove the pan from the stove, let the rice rest in the container for another 5 minutes.
6. Before serving, you can season the medium-grain rice with butter.
– For cooking medium-grain rice, it is recommended to pour 1 cup of grain with 2.5 cups of cold water.
— Medium-grain rice is grown in Italy, Spain, Burma, the USA, and also on a distant continent — in Australia.
— Compared to long-grain rice varieties, medium-grain rice has wider and shorter grains. The length of one grain is 5 millimeters, and the width is 2-2.5 millimeters.
– The high starch content in medium grain rice helps the grain absorb more liquid during the cooking process, resulting in the grains sticking together a little in the finished dish. This property of medium grain rice makes it an ideal ingredient for dishes such as risotto and paella, and medium grain rice is often used in soups. Another important and special property of medium-grain rice is the ability to enrich itself with the flavors of foods that are cooked with it.
– Medium grain rice is found in both white and brown.
– One of the most popular varieties of medium-grain rice is Carnaroli, which grows in northern Italy in the province of Vercelli. Carnaroli retains its shape better during cooking compared to other varieties of medium grain rice. Due to the high content of starch in grains, the risotto from such rice turns out to be the most creamy, which is very important for this dish. Grains do not reach the consistency of porridge, while maintaining internal elasticity. Carnaroli is called the “king of rice”.
– Calorie content of boiled medium grain rice – 116 kcal / 100 grams of white polished grain, 125 kcal / 100 grams of white unpolished grain, 110 kcal / 100 grams of brown grain.
— The average price of medium-grain rice is 100 rubles/1 kilogram (on average in Moscow as of June 2017).
– Store cooked medium-grain rice covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.