It takes 1.5 hours to prepare the soup, of which 45 minutes of cooking.
How to cook lohikeyto
per pan 3 liters
Salmon head – 0.5 kilograms Salmon
steak – 200 grams
Potatoes – 3 pieces
Carrots – 1 large
Celery root – 20 grams
Leek – 1 bunch
Flour – 1 tablespoon
Cream 22% fat – 1/4 cup
Butter – 20 grams
Allspice – 6 peas
Bay leaf – 2 pieces
Dill – 1 bunch
Salt – 1/2 tablespoon
How to cook Lohikeito soup
1. Separate gills, tail and fins from salmon, put fish by-products in a saucepan, pour 1.5 liters of cold water and put on medium heat.
2. Peel 1 potato and 1 onion, after boiling water, add them to the broth as a whole.
3. Add 6 peppercorns and 2 bay leaves. Cook for 20 minutes.
4. Strain the broth, bring to a boil.
5. Peel and finely chop carrots and celery, add to boiling broth.
6. Mash the boiled potatoes with a fork and add to the broth.
7. Slice the leeks, peel and dice the potatoes. 8. Heat the pan over medium heat, melt the butter in it, put the leek and fry for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
9. Pour the fried leek into the broth, cook for another 15 minutes over low heat.
10. Divide the fish parts, separate the bones, put the fillet in the broth.
11. Pour 1 cup of cream into a bowl, add a tablespoon of flour and a ladle of broth; mix.
12. Rinse the salmon steak and cut into cubes with a side of 2 centimeters, pour into the soup.
12. Add a mixture of cream and flour.
12. Warm Lohikeito for another 2 minutes, add salt, pepper and butter.
13. Remove soup from heat, cover and leave for 24 hours.
Lohikeito has 2 different versions. One version of the soup for every day is calakeitto, flounder, cod or other fish with milk is used. The second option is festive, called lohikeito (salmon and cream are taken instead of milk – more expensive products).
— Traditionally, Lohikeito is cooked in an oven, in a cast-iron dish.
– Serve on the table only a day later for the rich taste of this soup.