The soup will take 3 hours to prepare, of which 1 hour to cook.
How to cook kamjathan
Pork ribs with meat – 1 kilogram
Potatoes – 3 pieces
Onion – 1 piece
Dried shiitake mushrooms – 2 pieces
Beijing cabbage – 500 grams
Buchu (Asian onion) – 3 pieces
Soy sprouts – 2.5 cups
Shiso (perilla) – 10 sheets
Green onions – 2 stalks
Garlic – 7 cloves Dried red pepper
– 1 pod Dried
ginger – 2 tablespoons
Kochukaru (ground red pepper) – 2 tablespoons
Kochudyan (spicy soy paste) – 1 tablespoon
Fish sauce – 3 tablespoons
Vinegar – 3 tablespoons
Perilla seed powder – 3 tablespoons
How to cook kamjathan
1. Soak pork ribs with meat in cold water for 2 hours.
2. Remove the seeds from the capsicum and cut it (in order not to burn the skin, it is recommended to use polyethylene gloves).
3. Peel the onion, potatoes and garlic, finely chop the onion and potatoes, rub the garlic on a fine grater.
4. Rinse Chinese cabbage and perilla leaves in plenty of water and cut
into pieces 3 by 4 centimeters in size.
5. Cut green and Asian onions into 7 cm pieces.
6. Rinse the soy sprouts and squeeze out the water.
7. Pour 2 liters of water into a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
8. Rinse the pork ribs, put them in boiling water and add 1 tablespoon of ginger; cook 7 minutes.
9. Rinse the boiled meat, remove all excess fat from it and put it in a saucepan with the broth along with onions, capsicum, 1 tablespoon of ginger, 2 tablespoons of soy sprouts and shiitake mushrooms.
10. Bring the broth to a boil, add heat and cook for 1 hour at medium temperature.
11. For the sauce, mix the garlic, kochukaru, Komchudyan pasta, vinegar, fish sauce and ground perilla seeds in a large bowl.
12. Remove capsicum and shiitake mushrooms from the pot with broth, continue to cook the broth for another 30 minutes. Mushrooms cut into pieces of medium size.
13. Put Chinese cabbage, perilla leaves, green and Asian onions, soy sprouts, potatoes, sauce and mushrooms into the prepared broth. Boil soup for 30 minutes.
— Kamjatang is served on a serving platter, sprinkled with green onions, ground pepper and perilla leaf garnish, with any suitable garnish, such as rice and sauerkraut.
– In the original recipe for kamjathan, the main ingredient was pork spine, not pork ribs.
– The name kamjatkhan comes from the Korean word “kamja”, which in Russian means potato and at the same time is close in meaning to the word for a pig’s spine.