Gumbo soup takes 3 hours to prepare.
How to cook gumbo
Smoked meats (brisket, sausage, chicken, sausages) – 50 grams of each type
Seafood (peeled king prawns, squid rings and mussels) – 70 grams of each seafood
Chicken thighs – 2 pieces
Gumbo fruits (okra) – 1.5 cups
Celery – 3 stems
Green bell pepper – 1 piece
Tomatoes – 3 large
Garlic – 3
cloves Onions – 1 large head
Olive oil – 3 tablespoons
Butter – 80 grams
Bay leaf – 2 leaves
Flour – 4 tablespoons (75-80 grams)
Cayenne pepper – 2 pinches
Black pepper – 0.5 teaspoon
Salt – to taste
Vinegar – 1 cup
How to cook gumbo soup
1. Boil chicken thigh broth and 2 liters of water for half an hour.
2. Remove the chicken from the broth, separate the meat from the bones and sprinkle with seasonings.
3. Peel the shrimp, put the shells and shrimp heads into the chicken broth and cook for half an hour, then strain the broth.
4. Wash 1.5 cups of okra and 3 stalks of celery, cut across.
5. Peel the bell pepper from seeds and stalk, cut into small cubes.
5. Heat a thick-walled saucepan, pour in olive oil.
6. Put the boiled chicken pieces in the pan, fry for 3 minutes.
7. Add chopped onion and finely chopped garlic, pepper and celery.
8. Cut the smoked meat into shavings and add to the pan.
9. Pour in half a liter of broth and simmer the future gumbo over low heat for half an hour.
10. Put the butter in the pan and melt it.
11. Pour flour into boiling oil.
12. Fry on medium heat until golden brown.
13. Pour the remaining broth into the pan and stir the flour with active movements until the consistency of the sauce is even, boil and pour into the soup.
14. Saute okra, peppers and tomatoes in oil for 7 minutes, then add to gumbo and cook for 5 minutes.
15. Put the shrimp in the soup, cook the gumbo for another 3 minutes.
16. Salt the gumbo to taste and cook for another 2 minutes.
Serve the gumbo soup on flat plates, garnished with herbs. Serve rice with gumbo.
Gumbo is a thick soup made from meat and vegetables with a lot of spices. Gumbo is an American dish especially popular in Louisiana.
– Any meat can be used for gumbo: game, poultry, smoked meats, sausages, clams, oysters.
– It is important to prepare gumbo from okra, peeled from the stalks.
– To prepare gumbo, you can use not only chicken, but also any other broth, for example, from seafood. It can be boiled from the shells of shrimp, crayfish or crabs (if they are used to make gumbo). This broth should be boiled for 1 hour. Gumbo can also be boiled in water.