Fresh green beans are boiled for 5-7 minutes until soft. Frozen green beans, without defrosting, cook for 10-12 minutes after boiling.
How to cook frozen green beans
You will need – frozen green beans, water
1. Boil water while it is simmering, defrost in the microwave and rinse the beans.
2. Put the green beans, wait for the water to boil again.
3. Add salt and pepper to taste, cook green beans for 10-12 minutes.
How to cook fresh green beans
1. Sort the green beans, removing brown stems and cutting off dark places.
2. Rinse it, dry it slightly.
3. Fold the pods into a bundle and cut off the ends on one side, then on the other.
4. One by one, take the pod in your hand and remove the vegetable fiber.
In a saucepan
1. Put the green beans in a non-aluminum pot, add water so that the water completely covers the vegetables.
2. Put the pan on a high power fire.
3. Add salt to taste, cover the pan with a lid.
4. Cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes until soft; if the pods are very large or old – then 10 minutes. Add salt after cooking.
In a double boiler
1. Spread the green beans in a double boiler container in 1-2 layers.
2. Pour water into the water compartment.
3. Set the steamer to boil for 15 minutes; if the pods are very large or old – then 20-25 minutes.
4. After finishing work, lay out the beans and use as directed. Add salt after cooking.
In the microwave
1. Place the bean pods in a microwave-safe dish.
2. Pour boiling water over.
3. Put the dishes in the microwave.
4. Cook for 1.5 minutes at a power of 800-900 watts; if the pods are very large or old – then 2-2.5 minutes. Add salt after cooking.
– As a rule, green beans are grown on farms specifically for freezing and subsequent year-round sale, so it is sold frozen on the shelves at an affordable price. Fresh green beans are quite rare, but if you have a lot of fresh green beans (for example, from your own plot), you can freeze them after washing and cleaning them, they will be stored for up to six months.
– So that frozen or fresh beans do not lose their bright green color after drying, it is necessary to boil the pods in mineral water and under the lid. Also, so that the green beans do not dry out, it is recommended to sprinkle the pods with oil immediately after cooking. Keep in mind that beans can lose color from poor-quality (too calcium-enriched, for example) water.
– Boiled green beans are served as a side dish for meat, as part of vegetable stews, with mushrooms and in vegetable soups.
– In folk medicine, green beans are used for hormonal changes in women during pregnancy, anemia, diabetes.
– String beans are good for the heart, kidneys, lungs and liver; considered a dietary product, low-calorie.
– String beans are not eaten raw, but only after cooking.