In a saucepan , cook duck broth for 1-1.5 hours with the lid ajar, in a slow cooker – the same amount.
In a pressure cooker , boil the duck broth for 20 minutes with the valve closed.
How to make duck broth
Duck – 4-6 wings or 2 legs, or 300 grams of necks or wings
Onion – 1 head
Carrots – 1 medium size
Black pepper – 4 peas
- If necessary, remove small feathers from the wings.
- Rinse meat products under running water.
- Place the duck in a saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Bring the water to a boil on the highest heat.
- Reduce the heat so that the water boils, barely gurgling.
- Cook from 1 to 1.5 hours depending on the size of the pieces of meat.
- As it forms, remove the accumulated foam with a sieve (in the first 10 minutes of cooking).
- After the foam ceases to form, add carrots cut into two or three parts, washed and chopped onion with peel into the broth.
- After an hour of cooking, add bay leaf, peppercorns and herbs to the broth.
The broth is ready. On its basis, you can cook any soups.
If you have a whole duck carcass, then for the broth you can use the neck, wings and bones of the body remaining after cutting – but if the broth is needed for meat soup, then it is also better to put the meat parts.
The duck is a rather fatty bird, so if you do not remove excess fat in advance, then you will have to remove it with a ladle after cooking.
If you put the duck in cold water, more extractives will be released from it, but if you put the carcass in hot water, there will be much less foam.
The readiness of the duck can be checked by cutting it at the joint – an undercooked duck will have pink meat juice there. And of course, the finished broth will have an amazing aroma.
In order for the broth to turn golden in color, carrots and onions can be scorched to black in a dry frying pan before laying in water.
Peking duck broth usually cooks faster than indo duck broth.
For cooking the broth, you can use only the stems from the greens, and it is better to save the petals to decorate the finished dish.
In order to highlight the note of duck sweetness in the broth 5 minutes before the readiness, you can add lemon juice from about one or two slices.