To prepare dovgi, you need to spend a day, of which 2 hours – in the kitchen of pure time.
Azerbaijani dovga soup
Round-grain rice – 100 grams
Greens (cilantro, basil, green onions, kavar or jusay) – 1 kilogram
Chickpeas – 100 grams
Eggs – 4 pieces
Katyk (yogurt or matsoni can be replaced) – 4 liters
Products for katyk
Milk for sourdough – 0, 4 liters
Sour cream (25%) – 50 grams
Milk 4% – 3.6 liters
How to cook katyk for dovgi
1. Heat 0.4 liters of milk to room temperature.
2. Mix milk with sour cream.
3. Put the mixture in a warm place for a day – this time will be enough to prepare the starter.
4. Pour 3.6 liters of milk into a saucepan, heat to 90 degrees, stirring constantly, and boil for 10 minutes with constant stirring.
5. Remove the milk from the stove and strain through cheesecloth.
6. Cool the milk to room temperature.
7. Mix milk and sourdough.
8. After 6 hours, the katyk is ready and you can start cooking dovgi based on it.
How to cook dovga
1. Pour chickpeas with cold water and soak for 4 hours, then rinse thoroughly.
2. Rinse the rice under cold water, drain the water, cover so as not to dry and set aside.
3. Wash the greens thoroughly, sort, cut off the roots, shake the greens over the sink to dry and chop finely.
4. Boil chickpeas in a saucepan for 2 hours, lightly salt for 40 minutes.
5. Put 4 liters of katyk on fire.
6. Break chicken eggs into a bowl and beat with a whisk.
7. After boiling the katyk, add beaten eggs to the katyk.
8. Add rice to the egg-milk mixture, then chickpeas – mix each time.
9. Boil dovga for 20 minutes at a low boil, stirring continuously.
10. Continue cooking until small bubbles appear on the surface.
11. Pour in the greens while continuing to stir the soup.
12. Salt the soup to taste.
13. When the greens begin to change color, remove the dovga from the fire.
14. If dovga is served in summer, then cool the soup (it is better to use a basin with cold water and ice).
– Traditionally , Azerbaijani dovgu soup is classified as a variety of cold soups. But there is absolutely no need to eat dovga cold! Dovga can be cooked in winter and served hot.
— Dovga, cooked in winter, is usually served with meatballs. Meatballs are made from lamb meat with the addition of onions and black pepper. Sometimes dumplings are boiled in the “winter” dovge (they are pre-baked).
— Dovga soup is notable for the fact that sour milk (matsoni, katyk), which forms its basis, does not curdle during the preparation of the soup. This can be achieved in several ways.
1. Dovga is continuously stirred not only during the entire cooking time, but also for 10 minutes after the soup is ready.
2. The egg-milk mixture should be whipped in a special way.
3. The combination of starchy substances with spicy ingredients contained in greens does not bark milk to curdle.
4. In the process of cooking, 3-4 dozen wooden sticks are introduced into the soup.
– The greens begin to change color during the cooking process: this is a signal that the dovgi is ready . So that the greens do not turn into porridge, the soup is cooled as soon as possible. It is best to use ice water to cool the soup. Of course, you can cool the soup in the air (it will remain quite edible), but it will not be so beautiful in appearance and fragrant.
— The cost of dovga soup products according to our recipe is quite high. To save money, it is recommended to use country or home greens for dovga.
– When preparing katyk, you can add a little sugar to taste, then dovga will become a little sweet. Milk for making katyk is traditionally taken from