It takes 1.5 hours to prepare 1 liter of chankonabe soup.
How to cook chankonabe soup
(chicken) – 1.5 liters
Chicken fillet – 200 grams
Wheat noodles – 50 grams
Egg – 1 piece
Shiitake mushrooms – 100 grams
Peking cabbage – 50 grams
Green onions – 10 grams
Garlic – 1 wedge
Potato starch – 0.5 tablespoons spoons
Miso (paste) – 40 grams (2 tablespoons)
Soy sauce – 7 tablespoons
Mirin – 5 tablespoons
Sesame – to taste
Sugar – 0.5 tablespoons
Black pepper – at the end of the knife
How to cook chankonabe
1. Put the chicken broth on the fire, add the mirin, soy sauce, half the miso paste and sugar. Pepper, add sesame seeds.
2. Boil the broth, put 100 grams of shiitake mushrooms. After boiling again, remove the foam with a spoon, reduce the heat, cook for 15 minutes.
3. Grind 200 grams of chicken fillet in a meat grinder (or in a blender).
4. Mix the chicken fillet with the second part of miso paste, egg, crushed garlic and chopped green onion.
5. Pour in the starch and mix the ball mixture.
6. Scooping up the mixture with a spoon, make balls with a radius of 3-4 centimeters.
7. Boil the broth, put the chicken balls, reduce the heat, cook for 10 minutes.
5. Add 50 grams of noodles and cook chankonabe for another 5 minutes.
6. Put chopped Beijing cabbage into the soup and cook chankonabe for another 5 minutes.
– Chankonabe is a nutritious soup from the diet of sumo wrestlers. “Chan” means “daddy” (a retired sumo wrestler, he is also a cook), “nabe” means “bowler hat”.
– The basis of any “pot soup” (nabemono), to which chankonabe belongs – chicken broth or dashi (fish broth) with sake (an alcoholic drink made from fermented rice) or mirin (sweet rice wine).
– Chankonabe is made from any available products, so this soup does not have a strict recipe. Different schools of sumo also have their own special chankonabe recipes. Additional ingredients that can be added to chankonabe soup without breaking the concept are chicken, beef or fish, noodles, tofu (bean curd), miso (fermented bean or cereal paste), shiitake mushrooms , vegetables.
– Mirin in the recipe can be replaced with fruit wine.