Cook vendace for 20 minutes.
How easy it is to cook vendace
You will need – vendace, water, salt, herbs and spices to taste
1. Wash the vendace, scrape off hard scales, remove the intestines, rinse.
2. Put the vendace in a saucepan, pour cold water over it so that it covers the fish for a couple of centimeters.
3. Put on fire, add salt and spices, parsley, onions and carrots for broth.
4. After boiling, cook the vendace for 20 minutes under the lid.
How to cook vendace in the northern way
For 3 servings
Vendace – half a kilo
Potato – 4 pieces
Onion – 2 heads
Salt and pepper – to taste
Lavrushka – 2 leaves
How to cook
vendace 1. Wash the vendace.
2. Put each vendace on a board, make an incision behind the head to the ridge, then pull out the head along with the intestines. So clean each fish.
3. If the scales are large, then scrape it off. Smaller ones can’t be cleaned.
4. Peel and finely chop the onion, peel the potatoes and cut into slices.
5. Put the peeled vendace in a thick-walled pan or cauldron, sprinkling with salt and pepper.
6. Put onions and potatoes on top, sprinkle with salt and pepper, put in a couple of bay leaves, crush if necessary.
7. Pour in a tablespoon of oil, add cold water – so that the vendace and potatoes are covered, but the onions are not.
8. Put the pan on a strong fire, after boiling, reduce the heat and cook with a quiet bubbling for 30 minutes under the lid.
Vendace broth can be used to make a sauce. Serve the vendace, laying it separately from the potatoes on a plate, and serving a small dish for the bones.
Tips for cooking vendace
The scales of the vendace are very small, so you can not clean it. Vendace caviar can be salted.
Serve boiled vendace with potatoes, black bread, fresh herbs and pickles.
There are 2 ways to clean the vendace for cooking: the first is to pull out the head along with the intestines. But visually, the dish is more pleasant if you leave your head. In this case, pry the gills together with the front fins with your finger, separate them from the head and gently pull them out. Both methods are not suitable for salting: the fish should be cleaned, carefully removing the insides and washing out the blood.
Vendace is a symbol of Pereslavl-Zalessky, located on the huge Lake Pleshcheyevo. This is one of the few lakes where this fish is found. Since ancient times, vendace has been considered a delicacy. Since the fish is now listed in the Red Book, the commercial catch is strictly limited. It is most likely to see vendace in stores in the second half of autumn and early winter.
Vendace is a medium-sized fish 15-25 centimeters long, usually up to 20 centimeters long in stores. Due to the fact that the fish is a predator, it has very nutritious meat. For cooking, it is recommended to take fresh or chilled fish.