Soak tripe in vinegar solution for a couple of hours, wash, clean. Boil tripe in a saucepan for 3-4 hours after several changes of water over low heat, covered with a lid. In a slow cooker, cook beef offal for 5-6 hours in the “Stewing” mode. In a pressure cooker , cook the tripe for 15 minutes , then cool completely in it.
How to cook beef tripe
Products Beef offal – 1 kilogram. Offal is the stomachs of beef or pork (more often beef). A product for experienced cooks, it requires a long cooking time, proper cleaning and soaking. Onion – 1 head Carrots – 1 piece Salt – 2 tablespoons Water – 3 liters Recipe
- If the offal is cleaned (has a light color), then wash it under running water. If not cleaned, black-green in color, scald and clean the dirt with a knife and brush, then scald again. If there is a strong smell, soak in vinegar solution.
- Cut into pieces with a side of 10-15 centimeters.
- Put the offal in a saucepan, pour hot water and boil for 10 minutes; drain the water and pour fresh water, put on a strong fire and, bringing the water to a boil, repeat cooking again. After the smell has gone, pour in fresh water for the last time (with a margin so that you do not have to add boiling water) and put to boil.
- Add peeled onions and carrots, herbs, bay leaf, pepper and salt to the water. Boil offal for 3.5 – 4 hours, and an old animal for 5-6 hours.
- Check for readiness: fully cooked offal is slightly elastic, but easily pierced with a knife or fork. When the product is ready, it can be fried as a meat appetizer, added to a salad or soup.
As you can see in the photo, there is not very much edible part in the tripe: in fact, it is a whitish tender layer of meat, which is most often peeled.
How long do you need to cook It is very difficult to keep the offal on fire, but undercooked offal will be “rubber” when pierced with a fork, so cook for at least 4 hours. Getting rid of the pungent smell Tripe can have a specific smell: to get rid of it, the scars must be soaked in salted water or vinegar solution for several hours before cooking, or simply increase the cooking time and use spices. Despite the specific taste, it is recommended for cooking offal lovers. It is believed that boiled and even raw offal is an excellent food for cats and dogs. We clean correctlyIt is easier to cook a peeled offal – it is white, immediately suitable for cooking. Tripe of black-green color must be specially processed before cooking: scald, scrape off dirt with a knife, clean with a brush and scald again with boiling water. The composition of tripe As a rule, tripe means beef stomachs , otherwise called “scars” or “belly”, but in fact these are the insides (intestines) of any animal – a pig, a ram, a chicken. Tripe includes the stomach, intestines, lungs, etc. – in general, any offal. But more often it is beef scars. About nutritionCaloric content of boiled offal – 95 kcal / 100 grams. Occasionally eating offal is very beneficial because it contains a lot of protein, without carbohydrates. In fact, tripe is comparable in nutritional properties to dietary meat, while being very cheap.