For pickle, soak barley for 6-12 hours and cook for 1 hour .
How to cook barley for pickle
You will need – pearl barley, all cooking for pickle
Method 1 – usual, with long soaking
1. Measure barley, rinse and pour into a deep bowl, pour cold water and mix.
2. Leave for 6-12 hours (or overnight) at room temperature.
3. Add to the pickle 1 hour before the end of cooking.
Method 2 – fast, with soaking
1. Put the washed barley in a sieve, place the sieve over a saucepan with a little water.
2. Put the pan on the quietest fire and keep the barley under the lid for 1 hour, stirring every half an hour – then you can add it to the pickle one hour before the end of cooking.
3 way – cook barley in bags, without soaking
Important! A full package of pearl barley is a lot even for a 5-liter pan! Keep in mind that a bag of pearl barley will absorb a lot of broth.
1. Barley in special cooking bags has already been specially steamed, so it does not require soaking: just dip the bag with barley directly into the broth with meat, so it will immediately be saturated with meat juices.
2. Boil barley in a bag for 45 minutes, then open the bag, put the required amount of barley and add 10 minutes before the end of cooking. The remaining barley can be frozen and added when cooking the next pickle.
Method 4 – risky, cook barley without soaking
1. Rinse barley and pour into water for broth.
2. Add meat and cook until barley is completely soft for 2-2.5 hours, then you can add other products.
Rassolnik is a soup with a lot of salt, and salt “tans” barley a little, so it is very important to achieve complete boiled barley. Then the pickle will be tender, not hard-grained.
What is the best way to cook barley? – You ask. And here is how we will answer: of course, the longest, with soaking: the cereal is gradually saturated with moisture and then evenly brought to softness right in the soup.
If the broth for the pickle is already cooked, and the barley has not yet been soaked and there is no bagged, do this: replace the barley with rice, it will cook in 20 minutes and the broth will be a little less rich, but you won’t spoil the soup for sure.