It takes about 3 hours to cook squash caviar: 1 hour to prepare the products and 1.5 – 2 hours to boil the caviar.
A simple recipe for zucchini caviar for the winter
Zucchini – 2.5 kilograms
Sunflower oil – 3 tablespoons
Tomatoes (can be replaced with tomato paste) – 3 large pieces
Apples – 3 large
Onions – 3 heads
Carrots – 2 large
Garlic – 3-5 cloves to taste
Salt – 1 tablespoon
Vinegar – 2 tablespoons
Ground allspice – 1 teaspoon with a slide
A simple store-bought recipe for zucchini caviar
1. Wash zucchini, peel and remove seeds.
2. Peel and cut the onion and garlic into several pieces.
3. Pour boiling water over the tomatoes and peel them.
4. Peel and chop the carrots.
5. Grind food with a meat grinder (if there is no meat grinder, grate).
6. Pour the vegetable mass into the pan, cover with a lid and put on a quiet fire.
7. Boil zucchini caviar for 1 hour after boiling, stirring regularly.
8. Grind caviar with an immersion blender.
9. Add salt and pepper, mix the caviar.
10. Pour vegetable oil into caviar.
11. Boil caviar for 1 hour until the consistency of squash caviar.
12. Pour in the vinegar, mix the caviar thoroughly and cook for another 2 minutes.
13. Pour the caviar into sterilized jars.
From this amount of products you get 2 liters with a little zucchini caviar.
Screw on the lids, cool and store in a cool dark place. Your zucchini caviar is ready!
How to cook zucchini caviar in a slow cooker Peel
onions and carrots, finely chop the onion, grate the carrots on a coarse grater. Put the onions and carrots in the capacity of the multicooker, pour in the oil, cook for 20 minutes in the “baking” mode. Peel and cut the zucchini into cubes, add to the onions and carrots, cook for another 20 minutes in the “baking” mode. Add salt and finely chopped tomatoes to the caviar, mix, cook for another 1 hour in the “stewing” mode. Then chop the caviar with a blender and pour into sterilized jars.
Do not use flour when cooking zucchini caviar in a slow cooker
Scottish squash caviar recipe
Zucchini – 1.5 kilograms
White or red onion – 1 large head
Tomatoes – half a kilo (4 medium)
Sweet peppers – 1 piece
Apples – 2 small
Sugar – 2 heaped tablespoons
Ginger root – 20 grams fresh or a tablespoon of dried
Raisins – 200 grams
Cloves – 10 buds, half a teaspoon of peppercorns, sea salt and coriander – to taste
Grape vinegar – 100 milliliters
Vegetable oil – 3 tablespoons
How to cook classic zucchini caviar
1. Peel and finely chop the onion.
2. Preheat a frying pan, pour 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, fry the onion for 10 minutes over medium heat until golden brown.
3. Wash and clean the zucchini, remove the seeds.
4. Rub the pulp of zucchini on a coarse grater.
5. Cut the tomatoes along the skin, dip for a couple of minutes in a bowl of boiling water, then remove the skin and cut into cubes.
6. Wrap finely chopped ginger root, cloves, pepper and coriander with gauze several times and tie.
Wash and dry the raisins.
Peel the apples, cut out the seed box and stalk, cut into cubes. Wash the bell pepper, remove the seeds, remove the stalk and chop finely.
Zucchini, onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, raisins and apples put in a saucepan, add sugar, salt and grape vinegar, add spices. Mix the ingredients well and put on a quiet fire. Boil zucchini caviar without a lid for half an hour, chop with a blender and boil for another 1 hour until the consistency of liquid sour cream is obtained. The pot with zucchini caviar is not covered with a lid.
Then remove the bag with spices from the caviar and cool the caviar a little.
Pour the squash caviar into sterilized jars, close the jars and put in a cool place. Zucchini caviar will be completely ready in a month.
Such zucchini caviar is famous for its delicate sweetish taste.
Methods for processing products before cooking squash caviar
Before boiling the caviar, the vegetables should be processed, and there are options here. Whether or not to peel the zucchini depends on the taste and quality of the zucchini. If the zucchini is your own and there is confidence in their environmental friendliness, you can simply wash it well, cut off the flowers and stalks, and proceed to check the quality of the seeds. To check for seeds, the zucchini must be cut lengthwise into 2 equal parts. You will see if there are seeds and if there are hard seeds among them. Woody seeds should definitely be removed, because they will not boil in caviar. Soft seeds will give a little graininess to caviar, but they will not spoil the taste – they can be used for cooking. If you are lucky enough to get young zucchini without seeds at all, great. Such caviar will turn out to be plastic, medium-grained and dense – just like that “store-bought” caviar.
Tomatoes before cooking can also be processed in different ways. Firstly, peeling or not is a matter of taste. It is believed that the peel is not a gentle product for the stomach, however, in practice, after boiling the caviar for 1-2 hours, the difference is completely leveled.
Approaches to cooking zucchini caviar
According to the first method, all products are cut, put into pans and boiled together. Caviar, obtained by exclusively boiling, is the easiest and fastest way to cook. In addition, this is the most useful squash caviar, sparing for sick stomachs and ready to be eaten by children.
According to the second method, before cooking, zucchini and onions are cut into cubes and fried in vegetable oil until golden brown. The effect of frying is that caviar acquires a reddish color and a denser structure, as a rule, more fatty, the taste becomes richer and juicier than with standard cooking. The disadvantage of this method is that it is very long, and for cooking, for example, 10 liters of squash caviar for frying 10 kilograms of zucchini, you will need to spend an additional 1.5-2 hours.
According to the third method, before cooking zucchini, apples and tomatoes are baked whole in the oven. This process may make it easier to remove the seeds, but in general it is needed to give the caviar a baked aroma and taste. Such caviar is considered the most delicious, because before cooking, the products are cooked at a temperature above the boiling point, as if “melting” in the oven into a mass suitable for cooking caviar.
To save time when cooking a large amount of caviar, you should start processing the products with zucchini – peel them, cut them and arrange them in pans. Add a tablespoon of salt to each pot so that the zucchini settles a little and gives juice. Wait 10 minutes, then start boiling the caviar, and then process and add the carrots, since they cook the longest. In practice, carrots are ready to be added even when the zucchini does not have time to boil. Then add tomatoes and other products.
You can also drain some of the juice before boiling the caviar, this will speed up its cooking, but you should take into account the chain: a lot of juice -> naturally long cooking time of caviar -> plasticity and fine grain -> highest quality.
– Try caviar when cooking for readiness and salt should be chilled. For this, it is convenient to use teaspoons – they should not be collected, but simply lowered into a saucepan with caviar – and put on a plate. So the caviar will cool in just 1-2 minutes.
– The shelf life of home-cooked squash caviar is 1 year.
– When cooking zucchini caviar, you can add 100 milliliters of mayonnaise – at the stage of combining zucchini with vegetables and flour. Then zucchini caviar will acquire a special spiciness.
– In the recipe, tomatoes can be replaced with the same amount of tomato paste, then less vinegar can be added (because tomato paste contains vinegar).
– To taste, it is worth adding carrots, garlic and dill when preparing zucchini caviar; from seasonings – basil, cinnamon, coriander.
– You can serve ready-made zucchini caviar:
1) on sandwiches, with butter, pate, fresh cucumbers or cheese – great for soups !
2) in side dishes (pasta, potatoes, rice) as a sauce.
3) to meat as a sauce.
4) as an independent snack.