Sriracha sauce takes 20 days to make. You need to spend 2-3 hours in the kitchen.
How to cook sriracha
Hot peppers (jalapeno, tula, serrano, fresno chili or anniversary varieties) – 1 kilogram
Garlic – 1 whole head
Sugar (ideally brown) – half a glass
Salt – 1.5 tablespoons
Vinegar 5% (apple can be) – 5 tablespoons spoons
How to cook sriracha sauce
1. Wash and dry the peppers with a paper towel.
2. Put gloves on your hands so as not to burn your hands, cut off the stalk from each pepper.
3. Peel the garlic, cut the teeth from the rhizome.
4. Put pepper, garlic in a bowl, add 1.5 tablespoons of salt and half a glass of sugar.
5. Using a blender, grind all the products into a puree mass.
6. Pour the mass into a 3-liter jar to leave room for the fermentation products, which will increase the volume of the mixture.
7. Loosely cover the jar with a lid.
8. Remove the jar in a dark place, store at room temperature for 10 days: after 1 day, bubbles will begin to appear, indicating the beginning of the fermentation process.
9. After 7 days, on the 8th, add 2 tablespoons of vinegar; on the 8th, another 2 tablespoons of vinegar, on the 9th, the remaining spoonful of vinegar. In this case, the sauce does not need to be mixed – the vinegar will disperse itself.
10. On the 10th day, grind the sauce with a blender.
11. Grinding through a sieve, pass the sriracha mass into a cauldron or thick-walled saucepan.
12. Put the saucepan on a quiet fire and boil the sauce to the desired density – ideally, you should get the consistency of dense ketchup.
13. Sterilize jars and lids.
14. Pour sriracha into jars, twist and cool – after 10 days the sauce will be completely ready.
Store sriracha sauce at room temperature.
Sriracha is a Thai sauce named after the village where it was invented by a local housewife, Si Racha. As she became famous, the woman who invented the sauce sold the manufacturing rights to a large Thai company. Since then, the sauce has gradually won the hearts of culinary experts all over the world. In parallel to this, a similar sauce was invented in the USA, and as soon as the similarities became clear, both sauces were united by the original name. However, opinions about who is the true creator of the sauce still differ, and in 2015 they even filmed a documentary about the origin of the sauce.
– When processing pepper, due to its sharpness, you can burn your hand or get irritated. Therefore, it is recommended to use disposable polyethylene gloves.
– In the original, hot varieties of hot peppers are used to cook sriracha sauce. However, due to the taste preferences of Russians, the above recipe indicates varieties with a moderately spicy taste.
– To speed up the preparation of sriracha, you can cut out the seeds (they are needed mainly for fermentation) and immediately boil the mixture to the consistency of a sauce. But the original taste and sourness will disappear.
– Sriracha sauce, subject to high-quality sterilization of jars, can be stored for up to 1 year, but an open jar of sriracha is not recommended to be stored for more than 1 week. – The sauce, in addition to the classic serving for meat and fish, is great for brightening juices, hard cheeses, jamon, smoked meats and vegetable stews.
– If it turned out that the hot pepper is too hot, you can replace up to half of its part with bell pepper. If the final product turned out to be too spicy, you can mix the sauce with mayonnaise or sour cream to taste. Brown sugar in the recipe can be replaced with regular sugar or palm sugar can be used. The color of the finished sauce depends on the color of the peppers used.
– Sriracha sauce can replace any more well-known Tabasco sauces, horseradish , adjika , satsebeli . Like its counterparts, due to the sharpness of sriracha, it improves mood, cures a hangover and invigorates with a cold.