It takes 3 hours to prepare ossobuco, of which 1 hour needs to be spent in the kitchen. Stew ossobuco for 2 hours on a quiet fire under the lid.
How to stew ossobuco
Pieces of veal or beef shank – 400 grams (3-4 slices 4-5 centimeters thick)
Tomatoes – 200 grams
Carrots – 1 large
Onion – 1 large head
Celery stalks – 3 pieces
Tomato paste – 1 tablespoon (jar of 50 grams)
Beef or chicken broth – half a liter
Dry white wine – half a glass
Garlic – 2 teeth
Vegetable (olive or sunflower) oil – 3 tablespoons
Flour – 3 tablespoons
Ground black pepper – half a teaspoon
Parsley – 3 sprigs
Thyme – 3 sprigs
Rosemary – 1 sprig
Bay leaf – 1 piece
Salt – half a tablespoon
How to cook ossobuco
1. Defrost veal if it has been frozen; rinse and dry with a paper towel.
2. Rub the shank pieces with salt and pepper.
3. Pour oil into the pan, heat for 1 minute over medium heat.
4. Peel and chop the garlic, put in a pan.
5. Peel and finely chop the onion, put it in a frying pan and fry for 3 minutes over medium heat, stirring regularly.
6. Put the pieces of veal in the pan and fry on both sides for 3 minutes.
7. Put the meat in a cauldron or thick-walled pan.
8. Peel the carrots and cut into slices half a centimeter thick.
9. Wash the celery, remove the leaves and chop finely.
10. Fry vegetables in the remaining oil: first carrots for 3 minutes, then with celery for another 3 minutes.
11. Salt carrots with celery, mix and cook under the lid for another 3 minutes.
12. Pour in the wine and simmer the ossobuco for 5 minutes.
13. Pour in hot broth, boil for 3 minutes.
Plunge tomatoes into boiling water and remove skins. 14. Finely chop the tomato pulp and add to the broth, salt and mix.
15. Put the pieces of ossobuco into the resulting sauce.
16. Add spices, cover the pan with a lid and simmer ossobuco for 2 hours.
– Ossobuco (from the Italian words osso and buco) is an Italian veal shank stew with brain meat and vegetables.
– Ossobuco is cooked over low heat under a lid so that the sauce does not boil out and so that the meat acquires a special softness, while not breaking its shape.
– As a side dish , rice or potatoes are suitable for ossobuco. Low-calorie fresh vegetables, pickles and marinades are ideal for an appetizer with Ossobuco.
– As a rule, after the ossobuco ends, there is a sauce left – it can be used as a gravy for rice, potatoes or pasta.
– When cooking ossobuco, it is necessary to add hot brothso as not to disturb the temperature of the wine.